Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 03, 2020 3:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco 41-605 60Hz problems
PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 9:58 pm 

I have been rebuilding this 41-605 for a friend. I have replaced ALL of the caps including two 20uf filter caps. I have tested all of the tubes to be good. All resistors more than 10% OOT have been replaced. All controls and switches cleaned. All tube pins and sockets cleaned. All questionable wiring (due to rubber insolation), has been replaced.

The problem I'm having, is that when I fire up the set, I get a 60Hz hum through the speaker, and nothing else. The hum is independent of the volume control level.

I have checked the 350 ohm choke and it is good. NO, I do not have an oscilloscope. At present, I am doing a point by point wiring check to insure that it is per the schematic. Anyone that has a suggestion would be welcomed. I honestly do not believe I have landed a lead incorrectly, however, nothing is impossible. If you have encountered this problem, or have a suggestion to remedy the problem, please let me know.

Thanks Guys

Post subject: Re: Philco 41-605 60Hz problems
PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 10:04 pm 

Negative of electrolytic caps connect to B- line. Not chassis.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 013430.pdf

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 10:22 pm 

I see a few things I'm not used to....
--some caps go direct to chassis and not to B-, not unusual, but one of them is the 0.2uF in the cathode circuit of the output tube. That is a larger cap between B- and ground than i am used to seeing.
And isn't there normally also a resistor from B- to ground?

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 11:27 pm 

Norm,

You are right. I already measured that, and I'm reading infinite ohms from the common ground of both 20uf caps to chassis,

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 12:09 am 

pixellany wrote:
I see a few things I'm not used to....
--some caps go direct to chassis and not to B-, not unusual, but one of them is the 0.2uF in the cathode circuit of the output tube. That is a larger cap between B- and ground than i am used to seeing.
And isn't there normally also a resistor from B- to ground?

There seem to be larger caps between chassis and B- on the radio-phono combinations. It probably has to do with hum in the phono mode. There is usually a high value resistor to bleed off static charge on the chassis. Without the resistor, the static charge on the chassis can get high enough to cause failure of the chassis to B- cap.

Jay

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 12:48 am 

I have a vague memory of someone reporting that there was a UL rule (guideline) about the size of the B- to chassis capacitor. Or was it about line filters......?
I'm in the camp that mostly keeps things stock, so I tend to not retain certain kinds of data.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 1:53 am 

Sorry to have lots of questions and no answers, yet. But we only know what you tell us about what's going on at your bench. With more information, help from the forum can be more helpful.

How loud is the hum?

Does the radio work, otherwise?

Did the radio play before you changed anything?

Do you have any test equipment? A meter? What sort?

Are there signs of overheating? Do you have any way to check how much current is being drawn?

(There are things that cause hum that quickly lead to smoke.)

A good way to do a thorough check of the wiring against the schematic is to first make a large paper copy of the schematic, then mark all the tube pin numbers on this print. Next, take a red pencil and use it to mark each connection and component as it is verified in the chassis. Where possible, use an ohmmeter to verify connections. While you are at it, you can verify resistances. I believe this is a set where all of the resistors can be checked in-circuit.

The safety agencies have tightened up the leakage current requirements over the years. The large chassis to circuit common capacitor value is probably required for the radio to work. There is no way this radio can be made to meet today's requirements. Not a good radio for the hot tub area, or the potting shed with the earthen floor.

Ted