Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 05, 2020 6:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Silvertone 6406J dial adjustment
PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 7:59 pm 

Hello all, I'm new here, just signed up. I hope I'm not breaking forum etiquette by jumping right in with a question.

I'm working on a Silvertone 6406J. Electrically it's in good shape with new capacitors and a few new resistors where needed. There's not a lot of AM stations where I live, but there is one really strong one that my father and I typically use as a benchmark for reception and adjusting dials and such. I can pick up this station (AM 830) just fine, but it is coming out on the dial as about 525. Usually adjusting dials is not a problem for me, but with this particular set I am a bit lost due to the tuning slugs rather than a tuning capacitor. I will attach some photos so that everyone can see what I'm seeing.

The way I have the set adjusted right now is that the tuning wheel and dial stop at the extreme ends of the dial. The way the dial is riveted to the copper strip makes it so that you cannot move the dial independently of the tuning slugs. So finally to the question: am I wrong and there is a way to move the dial independently of the slugs, or does the entire tuning circuit need to be adjusted to bring the dial back where it belongs?

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the coming advice. If you need more details or explanation, just ask and I will do my best to clarify.

Attachments:
6406J_1.jpg
6406J_1.jpg [ 520.21 KiB | Viewed 200 times ]

Post subject: Re: Silvertone 6406J dial adjustment
PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 8:47 pm 

These linked videos will show all alignment and dial-tracking procedures.
viewtopic.php?p=3128591#p3128591

Rider 1941 • Sears pages...
11-85 http://americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX ... e-0086.pdf
11-86 http://americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX ... e-0087.pdf

Greg.

Edit: Chassis 101.566-3
http://americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX ... e-0126.pdf

Sears Silvertone model families for seasons 1939/40 & 40/41
https://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/sears ... _4041.html

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 8:58 pm 

You didn't mention if you did an electrical alignment that I saw. The IF transformers, T1 and T2, have to be set to the correct frequency for the dial to be correct.
With the IF set correctly, you should be able to use variable capacitor C3 to get the received station to the correct place on the dial. Watch out when adjusting C3. It has 90VDC on it so use an insulated screwdriver.

Attachment:
Alignment.jpg
Alignment.jpg [ 202.3 KiB | Viewed 188 times ]

Attachment:
Chassis.jpg
Chassis.jpg [ 101.19 KiB | Viewed 188 times ]

Jay

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 9:34 pm 

Thank you both for the documentation. I have not touched the IF transformers yet because I did not have the proper procedure. Now that I have it I will fire up my signal generator tonight and work through it. Can't believe I missed C3, I knew it had to be something simple like that. Guess that's what happens when you put something down for a while and can't find your documentation when you come back to it.

I will report back with results later, thanks again!

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2020 2:54 am 

The radio is now receiving stations and indicating them on the dial correctly! After adjusting the IF transformers the C3 variable capacitor was way off. Likely someone messed with it in the last 80 years.

Anyway, thank you for the help! One more radio lives again.