Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 29, 2020 3:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Labels
PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 3:00 am 

Wondering what you folks do to recreate/reproduce labels pasted on the inside of cabinets.

I carried on what I do with car radios to home radios. This also works with schematics and tube location labels that are used a lot in car radios.

First, I take a picture of the label before removing it. I make sure that every part is legible because once you remove/destroy the label there is no do-over.

Second, I measure the size of the label both height and widith.

Third, I download the picture to MS PowerPoint. This allows me to generate the text while having the original label easily view-able. The text size does not have to match the original but must be the correct size relative to the other text in the label.

Fourth, I add text boxes for each segment of text, picking fonts that match size, bold, italic, and the like.

Fifth, If there is an image I find one on the Internet, download it, and insert where needed.

Sixth, At this point I save the PowerPoint file in case it needs to be edited later.

Seventh, I save the label as a .JPG image.

Eighth, I insert a new slide in the PowerPoint and insert the saved .JPG.

Ninth, I resize the inserted .JPG to match the original label.

Tenth, I print out the label onto sheet sized label paper.

Eleventh, I cut out the label to size, apply a laminate, and install the label in the radio.

Some of these steps will be iterative to get the size right and to tweak everything. If you like the label to have a vintage look you can add a background color.

This label I had to tape down on the edge because Zenith didn't put enough glue down and it curled.
Attachment:
patent.jpg
patent.jpg [ 854.17 KiB | Viewed 297 times ]

Not perfect so I may adjust it some more, things like character spacing, line spacing...
Attachment:
Labels1.jpg
Labels1.jpg [ 335.64 KiB | Viewed 297 times ]

Attachment:
Slide2.JPG
Slide2.JPG [ 188.48 KiB | Viewed 297 times ]

Attachment:
Slide4.JPG
Slide4.JPG [ 94.28 KiB | Viewed 297 times ]

Post subject: Re: Labels
PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 10:52 am 

Thanks for sharing your methods. I have one dial scale I looking to reproduce, but, could never figure

out how to there from a picture. I have power point on my laptop, so I will give it a shot.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 11:51 am 

I soak mine in coffee to give it the “old” look.

Ed

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 12:32 pm 

Great Instruction,, Thanks for sharing, But question... How did you come up with the tuner and transformer drawing?

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough
A.Einstein

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 1:42 pm 

sawblade54 wrote:
Great Instruction,, Thanks for sharing, But question... How did you come up with the tuner and transformer drawing?

Those are all from PP "shapes". There is squares, circles, arrows, you name it. The transformer is just a square with rounded corners. Corner radius can be varied. The transformer is made up of two squares, two semicircles, and a couple of circles with line through them. Same with the tuner, several squares, some semicircles, some text, the beat goes one...

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 11:12 pm 

I’ve done labels for all my TO’s using Photoshop. Some I was able to scan in hi def and others are photos in high def. All are tan so I just grab the dominant shade and equalize the rest of the background.

You did an excellent job. Finding the proper fonts is a royal pain. I think I found one one that was real close. I wrote it down, but now I have no idea where I saved it. I have been stealing words and letters from others to complete mine. It sounds like building the transformer was a quit a job, yet it came out perfect. I steal my IF cans also. Same shape.

I think the white is a little bit in you face. I’ve never thought about Ed’s coffee idea. It might have saved me a lot of work. Why don’t you try it? Maybe 1 with coffee and another with a strong tea and see what you end up with. Show us some pictures here.

A lot of work, but they look great.
Freeman