Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 03, 2021 10:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Amprobe Clamp On Meter Repair Help Needed
PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 2:54 am 

I picked up a nifty little Amprobe model Y25 clamp-on meter at a yard sale for a dollar. I observed that the meter's needle did not move so I figured it was worth a buck to gamble on my chance of fixing it or learn why I didn't. Once apart I discovered the meter's pivot pins were dislodged from the pivot point. Once the spring screwss were loosened I was able to get both front and back pivot pins in place and the meter now floats nicely. (It may not be anywhere near accurate in its calibration now but I at least got a sense of tactile satisfaction.)

My question is this: There are two tabs that fell out of the thing when I got it apart. I have no idea if they were on the two front mounting spots (marked "A" and "C") or on the rear mounting spots (marked "B" and "D"). I also have no idea of whether the tabs should sit flush against the mount. (You will notice each tab has two perpendicular bends and these bends fit perfectly on any of the four ("A", "B", "C" and "D")mounting spots like a saddle sets on a horse. OR should the tabs should be mounted "backwards" with each tab's right angle bends supporting the face card.

I know the needle is bent. I did that accidentally but I am not going to try to bend it back until I am finished because I do not know how much "bending fatigue" the needle might permit me to make before it snaps off.

I'd welcome any suggestions or help on where these tabs should go. Thank you.

Attachments:
Meter.JPG
Meter.JPG [ 172.58 KiB | Viewed 200 times ]

Post subject: Re: Amprobe Clamp On Meter Repair Help Needed
PostPosted: Jun Thu 24, 2021 8:57 am 

This is just a guess, but I think the tabs are there to prevent rotation of the mounting nuts. So, they should go on the rear of the movement.

There should be spacers between the meter frame and the dial plate, one on each bolt. I only see one part that might be a spacer.

Post subject: Re: Amprobe Clamp On Meter Repair Help Needed
PostPosted: Jun Thu 24, 2021 12:40 pm 

Thank you Lorenz, your suggestions make good sense so I am going to re-assemble with the tabs
on the back to anchor the nuts. Yes, about that spacer...there is only one and this has been troubling to me. When the whole thing came apart as I was disassembling it it seemed like parts were raining down everywhere. I thought I saw two of those bushing type spacers but can only find one now. I even spent half a day on my hands and knees looking for a possible missing spacer. and opened up a vacuum cleaner bag thinking I may have vacuumed it up while cleaning the shop area later over the weekend. But I've found nothing. There is a recess in the plastic piece that holds the meter face that seems like it might fit one of those bushings but there is one one such recess. I now wonder if the washers you see in the photo are the spacers needed behind the meter face so that it is tight and flush against the mount. When I unscrewed the two bolts I was not expecting so much to drop away. Ah yes, if nothing else I learned something here so maybe the dollar I spent was worth it even if I cannot reassemble it to working order. ;)

Anyway, thanks for your supposition and in the absence of anything else I am going to follow it.