Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 05, 2021 12:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Electrical reason for coiling slack to Magic Eye?
PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 7:16 pm 

I'm working on an RCA Victor T-60 and have decided to replace the four wires connecting the Magic Eye (6U5/6G5) socket to the connections under the chassis.

However, I'm surprised by the coil of extra wire between socket & connections. (See attached photos.) The socket has sufficient wire to move it around as necessary above the chassis. My initial thought is to eliminate the extra length when putting in the new wires. But I have been loathe to make assumptions about seemingly useless components and wires and conventions ever since learning about gimmick capacitors.

So does anybody know of a technical reason why I should replicate this tangle of excess wires, rather than trim them to length when I put in the new ones?

If they did it for strain relief, I think I can do better with a grommet or some other mechanical alternative. But I'd hate to throw some value out of whack because I'm unfamiliar with an obscure convention and cut this knot out of the circuit.

(BTW, I also learned about the secret 1Megohm resistor they hid in the Magic Eye socket. Mine tests at about 4M and i assume explains why my tube seems relatively insensitive to medium strong stations. Every radio teaches you something new, doesn't it?)

Attachment:
20210921_133521_resized.jpg
20210921_133521_resized.jpg [ 247.03 KiB | Viewed 255 times ]

Attachment:
20210921_133739_resized.jpg
20210921_133739_resized.jpg [ 308.53 KiB | Viewed 255 times ]

Post subject: Re: Electrical reason for coiling slack to Magic Eye?
PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 7:45 pm 

It's possible that the same eye tube assembly was used in different models, some of which required a longer cable harness than others so they just coiled up the excess...?

Just a thought...! 73...Jordan VE6ZT

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 7:45 pm 

Length of the eye tube wires doesn't matter; no RF signal goes to it, just DC and low-voltage 60 Hz AC. It's possible that your radio chassis had extra-long wires in order to accommodate another cabinet style where the eye tube was placed in a more remote location than in your set. But that's just speculation.

Last edited by lorenz200w on Sep Tue 21, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 8:07 pm 

Thanks guys. The fact that two of you came up with the same hypothesis in parallel--and that nobody is screaming "Good heavens, don't eliminate that knot!!"-- is good enough for me.

Snip, snip.

Thanks for the quick responses!