Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 02, 2021 5:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Backup battery Installation
PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 8:45 am 

Hey, guys!

I want to install a backup battery in a vehicle so that I may use one battery to run the radios and other electronics all the time and not drain the primary battery.

I've looked through the forums but haven't found any information on how to achieve this.

I'd appreciate it if someone could explain how I can hook this up.

Post subject: Re: Backup battery Installation
PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 8:49 am 

I also read some tutorials like the batteries tutorialhttps://www.kynix.com/Blog/The-Best-Guide-to-Volt-Batteries.html, but I still don't know what to do.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 9:05 am 

Go to your closest RV/camper shop and ask for a Battery Isolator.

It is basically a couple of HUGE diodes, wired to the vehicle so the alternator can charge both batteries , but they are separately drained.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 12:04 pm 

Some information I found here https://www.k0bg.com/alternator.html#isolator

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 3:00 pm 

It's not really a question we deal with every day on a forum dedicated to repair of vintage and antique electronics. A great many commercial utility vehicles, emergency responder vehicles, and news gathering vehicles have some kind of "tech battery" system which provides a secondary battery for auxiliary electronics but allows for charging it from the vehicle alternator when the engine is running.

The battery isolators previously mentioned are a simply way to implement a tech battery system in a vehicle; it's how many car audio systems are done. A more sophisticated way is with a device called a converter/charger. You'll find them under RV and Marine accessories. Depending on which version you get, they allow up to three banks of batteries to be charged and managed. Some versions can be plugged into AC to charge and maintain the tech battery voltage so the electronics can be used indefinitely without periodically starting the vehicle. It might be noted that the term "converter" in boating means a device that converts shore power, e.g. 120 or 240 VAC into the boat's electrical voltage such as 12 or 24 VDC. Most have additional features to monitor and maintain the charge in the boat's batteries.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 3:46 pm 

Having dealt with this, it is more in the line of automotive electrics and is a common thing here for running things like refrigerators etc. off a separate battery for camping & trips into the outback.
commercial devices for this are available. The basic importance is to stop the starting battery being discharged into the storage battery & that can be as simple as a relay that drops out when the engine stops, however, there is then charging it.

Marcc

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 3:49 pm 

Marcc wrote:
then charging it.

In new cars, another problem has appeared in the form of BMS, which does not know that another battery has appeared in the car ...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 8:56 pm 

hathway wrote:
Hey, guys!

I want to install a backup battery in a vehicle so that I may use one battery to run the radios and other electronics all the time and not drain the primary battery.

I've looked through the forums but haven't found any information on how to achieve this.

If you are trying to separate the electronics that came with the car from the main battery, that could be difficult; the wiring is pretty well embedded in the vehicle. If you are thinking of adding new electronics, then you have control.

Another option is to leave the existing battery for the electronics and add a new battery just for the starter. You still have the same problem of charging it. And what would the computers in the car think of any of this?

Who's that swimming in the punch bowl?
It's Walter Wart, the freaky frog!

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 9:04 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
hathway wrote:
Hey, guys!

Fishing boats do this to charge the trolling / fishfinder / GPS accessories battery while running, but NOT use it for starting and running. In your case you may want to do the opposite ..... install the backup battery with the isolator module between the backup and the system, but save the backup for starting. That way you don't have to go to all the trouble of isolating the auto's electronics. In conjunction with your isolator, install a master switch between the two batteries. When you go to start, switch in the backup, start the car, then switch out the backup and let it recharge isolated.

Have a look at this ::

https://atkinsonelectronics.com/tbcm-40 ... ule-40amp/

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 12:50 am 

hathway wrote:
Hey, guys!

How old of a vehicle are we talking here? If you're trying to do this with a modern car, you'll have a heck of a time separating out the electronics away from the car's existing electrical system. The modern infotainment system is so integrated into the gauge cluster, climate controls, sensors and even the ECU now that separating it would be a nightmare.

I'd just leave the existing vehicle wiring alone and run a separate deep cycle battery for all your stuff.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 1:07 am 

It is amazing what one can find out by making enquires. I would guess that some vehicles aimed at the recreation market & "Grey Nomad's" would in similar to their towing packages, have someway of doing this: Noting that a "Real" deep cycle battery cannot be charged at the same rate as an SLA and SLA's will not last long constantly being run near "flat". Neighbours have proven that.

On one vehicle here where it was going into the "out back" where you are in the middle of nowhere & thousands of miles from anywhere, we put solar panels in place of the spoiler. The other question, is just how much current is going to be drawn in what circumstances. Like a mobile phone will run a long time tethered to the car battery and one should in remote places have provision for doing that.

Marc

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 12:12 am 

hathway wrote:
Hey, guys!

It would help if you could define “…radios and other electronics…”.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 12:27 am 

Technically this is automotive. But people are turning to "off grid" in many ways. There are already domestic off "grid systems and off grid solar systems to run camps. There needs to be consultations with "with it" automotive electricians, the dealership, and camping stores, as the request is far from unusual.

Marcc