Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 20, 2021 3:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GE Model 752 dead FM band
PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 3:27 am 

I’m pretty new at this, and I’ve reached a dead end, so I’m hoping I can get some advice. Restoring a GE 752 console for a friend, and so far I’ve replaced all the bad tubes and recapped the entire radio. The AM sounds better than just about any radio I’ve ever had—all stations loud and perfectly clear. However, I’m only getting static on the FM band…tried numerous antennas I have laying around, moved the radio all around the shop—still nothing. Next place to look? Bad coil? Am I missing something antenna wise? The only thing I noticed that is puzzling is on the “Radio-Phono” selector switch there seems to be three positions for two functions (off-radio-phono; clicks three times when turned to the right.) bad selector switch? Bad “AM-FM” selector switch? Explain to me as you would a child or a golden retriever—as I mentioned, I’m still getting my feet wet. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: GE Model 752 dead FM band
PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 4:18 pm 

do you have a schematic? and also next thing i would check would be resistors and diodes etc. thats the only thing i can think of because i have a wards airline radio with dead FM as well. :mrgreen: but i think you should be able to check continuity on the switch with a multimeter.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 6:20 am 

Is this your set?
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel/733/M0007733.pdf

There may be Beitmann and Sams service info, as well.

It looks as if the function switch, S2, has at least four positions, possibly a fifth, off, position. Could the power be switched by a push-pull motion?

The usual suspects are switch contacts and the converter tube.

Problems with either switch can kill the FM reception.

A 6BE6 converter tube barely works on the FM band. Even if it is fine on AM. You may have to try a few to find a "hot" one that works.

You can use a second FM radio to listen for the local oscillator in the GE. Tune the working set to 88 then listen to it as you tune the GE up and down around 99 on the dial. No connection is required, just put them close together.

What test equipment can you use to troubleshoot?

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 2:00 pm 

Check all of the resistors and mica capacitors around the converter and IF tubes. That's a very strange circuit; it looks like GE is using the 6BA6 V2 as an RF amplifier for the FM band. If you have a signal generator, see if you can get a 10.7 Mhz signal through the IF strip, with the switch in the FM position.

GE and RCA sometimes combined the radio/phono and the tone control functions on the same switch.