Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 02, 2021 11:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaker Field coil resistance
PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 9:32 pm 

I had to rewind a field coil in a jukebox speaker that I'm restoring as it was open. Calipers indicated that the wire was 34awg, 794g of wire weight, and the schematics note that the field coil is a 5kohm coil. I printed a new bobbin and wound the thing, but I'm sitting at a smidge over 3.5kohm. (Maybe I should have used 36awg) Looking at the schematic, it looks like the field coil is being used as a reference to ground. I'm trying to decide whether I need to add a high wattage 1.5k resistor to make up for the lost resistance or whether it should be ok as it is. If anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated.

Attachment:
1422schematic.PNG
1422schematic.PNG [ 383.29 KiB | Viewed 236 times ]

Post subject: Re: Speaker Field coil resistance
PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 9:53 pm 

For the weight of wire you took off, 35 gauge calculates closer to 5000 ohms than 34 gauge, although it still puts you at 5,900 ohms for single build insulation..

I found my calibers were less accurate than my micrometers for measuring wire o.d.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 11:02 pm 

The field is powered in shunt with the B+. A PM speaker could have been used if a 5% approx increase in voltage could be tolerated. :roll:

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 11:09 pm 

Most likely you will be fine the way it is , just bring the amp up on a variac and monitor how warm the coil gets .The resistance is not as critical as if it was in line with the B+ .

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 11:56 pm 

Since the field coil is across the B+, a reduction from 5K to 3.5K is a significant increase in the B+ supply loading. I would put the 1.5K resistor in series with the field coil. If you have problems with the speaker operation, you may need to rewind with higher AWG wire. Going high on resistance is not as much problem as going low.

Jay

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 12:12 am 

The schematic shows the field coil connected to the same B+ source as the output tube screens. The lower resistance field will pull this voltage lower, reducing the output tube plate current. It may be a wash for total B+ current drain.

You want to watch the filter choke and 1000 ohm resistor, though, as they will have to carry the extra field coil current.

A resistor in series with the speaker field coil, or an increase in the 1000 ohm B+ dropping resistor will get the current back to normal, if need be.

I kinda think I would add any extra resistance to the existing 1000 ohm B+ dropper, in order to reduce the output stage current a little. This should help the old parts last longer.

I should add that the 5000 ohm figure for the old coil was probably taken with the coil at operating temperature. This resistance will be higher than at room temperature.

Ted

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 12:17 am 

If the bobbin isn't full, you could just splice on more wire and keep winding til you got the right resistance.

Who's that swimming in the punch bowl?
It's Walter Wart, the freaky frog!

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 12:24 am 

The bobbin is pretty much full, I'd be lucky to get much more on there. I do recall somewhere that the winding measurement was taken hot, I just can't remember where. Though the hot temperature isn't more than like what, 10% raise in resistance?

I guess the good thing is that the amplifier isn't gonna be seeing voltage when there isn't a record being played, so it won't be on for a long period anyways.