Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 16, 2021 3:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wrinkle finished cabinets
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 12:50 am 

Has anyone here refinished or touched up a “Wrinkle Finished” Atwater Kent or Crosley cabinet? If so,... what type of paint did you use and how did it turn out? Pictures if you can.

Leon

Post subject: Re: Wrinkle finished cabinets
PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 3:35 am 

I painted over an A.K cone speaker once, I just cleaner it really good, removed the badge, and used enamel paint over top of the wrinkle paint. I don't know what to suggest with bare spots, you can still buy wrinkle pain but I think it's overpriced, and a pain to use. I have also heard that you can get the same effect by spraying clear lacquer over enamel paint that has just skinned over, but haven't tried it yet, I will try it on a piece of scrap metal before using it on anything I want to keep.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 6:17 pm 

Thanks Arran. Painting over the old finish would be good, except in my case, I have some rather obvious bear spots and a paint over won't work out too well.
Anyone else out there???

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 3:02 am 

Most auto parts stores carry IIRC the name is VRT high temperature wrinkle spray paint. Last time I bought it the price was comparable to other rattle cans on the shelf. I've been told they are the only company that makes wrinkle paint anymore, and it only comes in black and red. Someone I know gets other colors by applying light coats of regular paint of the desired color over the wrinkle.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 7:18 pm 

Electronic Memory wrote:
Someone I know gets other colors by applying light coats of regular paint of the desired color over the wrinkle.

Hmmmm…..now why didn’t I think of that ? Good idea.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2021 7:34 am 

Electronic Memory wrote:
Most auto parts stores carry IIRC the name is VRT high temperature wrinkle spray paint. Last time I bought it the price was comparable to other rattle cans on the shelf. I've been told they are the only company that makes wrinkle paint anymore, and it only comes in black and red. Someone I know gets other colors by applying light coats of regular paint of the desired color over the wrinkle.

Last I checked it was $15 a can, before that I got one on sale and it was not a happy experience to use, the nozzle kept clogging no matter how long I shook the can. This was why I was looking at other ways to simulate the effect, and spaying lacquer over enamel paint is what I want to experiment with next.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2021 4:29 pm 

A-K used a proprietary blend of shellac, brown pigment, benzine over a pigmented shellac undercoat. The wrinkle coating was fast drying important in a production environment. Much of A-K was with a shellac based paint. Keep alcohol and other light solvents away from the early finish. Mineral spirits for oil based paint is O.K. as are furniture polishes, no citrus cleaners with lemonene

An online search one can find other manufacturers and colors available in a wrinkle paint.

Simple tips for aerosol can painting of larger projects:

-An undercoat can be used.

-Keep the can(s) warm, prolonged spray causes the propellant to chill the can lowering the atomization at the tip and proper dispersal.

-Working from two cans and a pail of hot water with a helper to dry off the can works well.

-Be aware of "ham hands" fingers in the spray stream collect paint and throw a droplet onto the finish.

-Work both quickly and carefully to keep the edge wet.

-Plan what to spray first and last in a large project.

-Note if the paint tends to accumulate on the nozzle, swap nozzle or wipe clean often.

-Spray when the humidity is low. Special finish paints will fog or haze over during cure, if the humidity is high, this may not clear when the film is dry.

-Depending on the brand of special finish paint, placing the article in a warm (125 to 150F) oven will speed the flash-off of solvent and result in a deep texture to the finish. Caution if using a gas fired oven and if the finish was very heavily coated as the heat can encourage runs.

-Be sure the paint is fresh and not stock from years ago, if may be in a can but it is still organic and can decompose. At best, not atomize properly, worst, curing at the nozzle and clogging.

Cross you fingers after it wrinkles :D

Chas

PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2021 9:34 pm 

Thanks Chas.
Leon