Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Tue 23, 2019 9:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Missing 2 x 1 piece of veneer on the side
PostPosted: Jul Thu 19, 2012 4:30 am 

Hi there,

Newbie here. I went and looked at my first radio yesterday. Its in bad shape. Its a Philco 46-1226. There are pieces of veneer missing on the sides of the cabinet on the back edge of the cabinet. They are probably 2 inches deep and about a inch tall. As you all know this big side piece wraps all around from the front. It has that big rounded front from the top to the bottom of the cabinet.

Do you guys replace the whole side with new veneer? Or do you just cut a new piece to fit in there and try to match the stain as best you can?

I wouldn't even try to figure out how to wrap a whole new piece to wrap around that rounded front. This is way above my skill right now. But if I can't do it right, I would rather pass on this radio.

moira

Post subject: Re: Missing 2 x 1 piece of veneer on the side
PostPosted: Jul Tue 24, 2012 9:19 pm 

Hi,
Many of use try to add in a new piece of veneer, rather than to recover the whole side. Often though it is hard to find a matching color that be noticeable. It will minimize the missing piece but you will know it's there.
Sometimes too a repair area will be sprayed darker to hide the repair.

If your skills are not up to replacement or repair, I'd pass on the set. This is not a rare or uncommon console. If the asking price is under $25 or less, then it might be ok to go ahead and get it. The chassis/speaker is worth at least that amount, and you can try the repair later on in your hobby.

Post subject: Re: Missing 2 x 1 piece of veneer on the side
PostPosted: Jul Wed 25, 2012 9:42 pm 

Thank you Gary. It would seem to be a hard match.

They want 150 bucks so I will pass on it. No need to make them mad. I guess trial and error on stains is the best teacher, in other words I need a lot more experience.

thanks moira