Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sun 19, 2019 12:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Creating a bezel or escutheon
PostPosted: Jun Wed 13, 2018 3:24 pm 

I'm in the process of restoring my grandfather's Firestone Airchief Sonata console, and it's complete except for the frame/bezel/ escutcheon that surrounds the dial. It originally was bakelite (or tannerite?) but it warped, cracked, and disintegrated about 20 years ago. Originals are impossible to find, but I think a tiny wood frame would work if done correctly with proper materials. Anyone have a suggestion?

Post subject: Re: Creating a bezel or escutheon
PostPosted: Jun Thu 14, 2018 6:45 pm 

Good luck. I have that exact same model, and mine is *barely* hanging on. Very warped. If you do find a source, let me know!

PostPosted: Aug Mon 06, 2018 7:16 am 

Has anyone tried making their own molds? I've been looking over this site:

https://www.smooth-on.com/tutorials/

I've got a couple of Wards Airlines that need new escutcheons, they may be difficult to reproduce but not impossible.

After all, these were made in large numbers 80 years ago, we just need to re-invent the wheel! :roll:

Thinking out loud here, the first step will be to repair the original to the point it can be used to create a mold.

I read in another thread that these Tenite parts can be straightened using gentle heat and patience. Card stock, bondo, etc. might be used to replace missing chunks and/or pieces.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, they'd be appreciated. Its going to be a long hike up this learning curve.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 07, 2018 3:07 am 

Perhaps 3D printing? You would have to come up with the computer file to control the printer.

I went to a tech "show" recently where a vendor was displaying 3D printed parts he had made. Some didn't have the lines and grooves you usually see on these items. I asked about it and he said they were made on a more expensive machine that had higher resolution. His machine could make them but the usual hobbyist printers could not. He wasn't selling printers but the service of printing other people's files.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 07, 2018 11:17 am 

plywood be an option, veneered with a fancy wood veneer, lasercut?

PostPosted: Aug Tue 21, 2018 1:38 am 

Just recently made a bezel for a Stewart Warner model 1845 out of a solid piece of oak. You can search under LarryAD to see it. I also made a large bezel for a !3 tube Silvertone model 6138. I started with a piece of veneer, then fibreglassed and bondo before painting it.