Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Tue 23, 2019 4:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Using an old DeVilbiss siphon gun, suggestions please
PostPosted: Jul Fri 27, 2018 4:05 pm 

Hi guys,
The HF HVLP gun I bought two years ago turned out to be a bum. Didn't realize until I unboxed it yesterday and discovered the lid leaks like mad. Anyway, I found this old DeVilbiss in the attic. It shoots water WONDERFULLY compared to the HF experience I had yesterday.

Anyway, I am aware these guns waste a lot of material? And the tip cap reads "30" on mine. I'm not sure what this converts to in mm. I know my dad used the gun a million years ago to paint a set of wheels. It might be 1.6mm but don't quote me on that.

Is anyone here using the old siphon gun and has some words of wisdom for me? Can I lay enough finish without blowing 90% of my product into the air or shouldn't I bother. Down the line a conventional HVLP appears best, but the quality of this gun seems super and I already own it.

Some questions,
1) Air pressure-- Regulator at compressor reads around 50, but I have regulator at gun reading 40 or so. Im going with the reading at the gun. Is 40psi about ballpark or should I go more or less for this style gun?
2) Is there a downfall to using less product in this big tank? I obviously don't want to mix up the whole can for a small table set.
3) Is a 50/50 mix of lacquer and thinner an ok starting point? And how would you adjust the three controls on the gun. It seems I've got a tip shape control that goes from vertical fan to conical, I've got a "fluid" adjustment which I don't understand, and an air adjustment. The later two adjustments I'm not sure how to dial in according to appropriate "atomization"... How can I tell when it's all right? Just practice, not too dry not too wet no runs?

Stand about 12" or further back?

This is just a general spray gun post. Hit me with your thoughts.

Thanks guys!

Attachments:
37889014_10216611986683265_8514950183908278272_n.jpg
37889014_10216611986683265_8514950183908278272_n.jpg [ 58.72 KiB | Viewed 537 times ]

Post subject: Re: Using an old DeVilbiss siphon gun, suggestions please
PostPosted: Aug Sun 05, 2018 12:42 pm 

That is a quality gun, old school siphon gun.
It is a little large for radios, but there is no reason not to use it.
There needs to be enough product in the cup to keep the tube submerged.
A #30 is good for finishing. Paint should be thin as water.
Waste product is not a serious concern.
The fluid control simply adjusts how far back you can pull the trigger.
The head can be turned for a horizontal or vertical fan.
Practice is the only way to learn.
There are many things that can go wrong when spraying.
Keep the cup vent clear.
Clean the gun after each use without exceptions.
Spray thinner through it until clear and take the spray head off and clean.
Never leave anything in the cup
Spraying water through the gun probably not a good idea, kind of made me cringe to read that.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 08, 2018 4:59 pm 

Yeah, water is a definite NO because while most of the gun is aluminum or pot metal, parts of the needle and cap are steel and will develop tiny pits from the moisture, which can never be corrected. Only cure for pitted or rusted steel parts on these is replacement.

I have painted plenty of cars with them and if you practice a little you will quickly see what it can do. Biggest issue is paint drips from vent hole in the paint cup cap, but later versions have a spiral tube inside to help prevent that. Of course, the gun needs to be operating room clean........

To clean the business end of it after painting, run a few ounces of solvent through it after having emptied and cleaned the cup. Keep cleaning until it's perfectly clear when sprayed onto a surface, old cardboard works well for testing.

I bought one at a yard sale where someone put it away with the cup still half full of primer the first and only time they ever used it. You could do that if you worked in a body shop and planned to use it again later in the day, but this one is hard as a brick and can likely never be disassembled but I'll just use the cup and stem from another gun.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 08, 2018 6:10 pm 

Excellent advice from those above. I would add that it would be better to invest in a smaller version as in the photo below. That one is an automotive touch up siphon sprayer. One load will do a table radio, two for a floor model radio cabinet, and on occasion I've had to fill it three times to spray a larger Victrola cabinet.

I don't thin Lacquer much, under 10%, or no thinner at all.

I set the pressure at 15 to 25 lbs, depending on viscosity, and how much material I want to exit the nozzle. Higher viscosities need more pressure to get a full spray. Thinning lacquer lowers its viscosity, and therefore calls for lower pressure.

Experimentation on a throwaway item is the best way to discover how to get the results you want.

Hopefully this will help you. Cheers, Russie

Attachments:
IMG_4051.JPG
IMG_4051.JPG [ 134.26 KiB | Viewed 404 times ]