Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 16, 2019 1:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Atwater Kent 246
PostPosted: Jul Sat 28, 2018 3:51 pm 

Restoring Atwater kent 246. Need some dimensions of cabinet which was completely destroyed. If anyone could provide some answers, would greatly appreciate it. Some tracings of grillwork and outline of cabinet top would also be helpful if possible. Need inside dimension of cabinet at base, inside height of cabinet at centerline, and inside depth of cabinet. These measurements are to cabinet itself and not trim pieces.

Post subject: Re: Atwater Kent 246
PostPosted: Aug Wed 22, 2018 5:16 pm 

Just want to make sure you know that there is no "top", it's actually one piece of wood bent from the left side, top and right side. The grill is part of the front.
After seeing pictures, what measurements do you need?

Attachments:
MVC-020F.jpg
MVC-020F.jpg [ 39.75 KiB | Viewed 867 times ]
MVC-021F.jpg
MVC-021F.jpg [ 44.6 KiB | Viewed 867 times ]

http://www.atwaterkentsrus.com

PostPosted: Aug Wed 22, 2018 6:01 pm 

Beautiful Radio!!

I need to make a new base, so I need the width and depth of the base. I also need the height of the cabinet at the centerline from the base to the bottom inside of the cabinet case. I know there is a small wood stiffening piece inside the cabinet on each side at the rear. I want to make sure that the dimension for the base width is taken to the actual side of the cabinet. The other thing that would be highly helpful would be a tracing of the top curve of the cabinet. Actually, a tracing of the whole brace at the top back of the cabinet would be better, but whatever is easiest to obtain if possible at all. I don't want you to damage the radio trying to do that. It is absolutely gorgeous. How did the 217 cabinet compare to the 246?
If you can do the tracing, I think it would be best to mail it to me I'm not sure there is anyway of sending a picture that would be actual size, I will send an address if that is what you decide to do. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 27, 2018 11:07 pm 

Hello Jimmy.
Can you send the measurements to me too?
And also a photo of the front with the measures?
I have a restored chassis and I do not have the cabinet.
In the link you can see the restoration of my chassis.

http://www.elvalvulas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44170

Thank you very much.

Carlos

Edit: the link don't work

CARLOS
email: carlos.edison [at] gmail . com

Last edited by edison on Oct Sun 07, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 07, 2018 10:53 pm 

Hello,

In this link you can see some pictures of the restoration of the AK 246 (only the chassis).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LH3wguTkWTsGOkbmwR0jOsisKGI47eBB/view?usp=sharing

Best regards

CARLOS
email: carlos.edison [at] gmail . com

PostPosted: Oct Mon 08, 2018 12:40 am 

Carlos:
Fantastic restoration. It would be really great if you could provide some details on how you did some of these restorations. I would be particularly interested in how you duplicated the ceramic resistors, the flex resistor, the speaker cone and what materials you used for the cone and tape to mount the cone in the frame, as well as how you cleaned the chassis. I have done some similar things , but would like to know what you did and the materials you used. It is absolutely impressive work. Have not seen many restorations that returned the components to as near original as possible. That is what I try and do, and I think some of your techniques are better than what I've done in the past. Perhaps an email or PM would work better, if you have an extremely detailed reply.