Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 24, 2019 11:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: AK 84 Off Center Tuning Dial
PostPosted: Aug Thu 23, 2018 5:32 pm 

The tuning dial on my AK 84 is off center. From what I have found it is an Early 84...1931, maybe a Golden Voice. I am thinking is got dropped during shipping causing the dial to shift. I don't want to just go tearing into it to straighten it without knowing exactly what I am doing. Any help would be appreciated. I would supply an image but all I have is a JPEG,

Post subject: Re: AK 84 Off Center Tuning Dial
PostPosted: Aug Thu 23, 2018 5:56 pm 

Post the image, image puked, too big? Gimp it, follow information in red on the top of ARF page what went wrong with the image and slide Gimp controls to correct, export as jpeg, then post.

If the set was dropped like a BC-348 I once had, lots of stuff can be distorted... Evaluate very carefully, bending the wrong item can make re-alignment a LOT worse...

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2018 7:32 pm 

OK Let's try this again. Wife is an expert at PSP.

Attachments:
Radio Dial resized,2.jpg
Radio Dial resized,2.jpg [ 32.73 KiB | Viewed 545 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Mon 27, 2018 5:57 pm 

I have looked at this closer and the needle also goes more off center moving to the high end of the dial. Is this a major fix? Looks like the whole assembly is off center.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 28, 2018 12:39 am 

Quote:
Looks like the whole assembly is off center.
Sure does, take a good look at the chassis mounts into the cabinet. Looking at '84's on the WEB it seems like some are off to the left, others, correctly centered. One thing for sure, there is no room in the cabinet to shift the chassis to the right. Therefore, it must be some sort of deformation to the mounting of the tuning condenser. I do not own an '84 to see, but I suspect that the tuner is mounted on rubber grommets and these have either rotted, hardened or softened. See one of the vendors to the right, Renovated Radios, they may have replacement grommets to put the radio right.

Elastomer mounts should be used as speaker vibration can transfer to tuner and create a howl by vibrating the oscillator stator plates...

Hmm, it is possible that dropping the radio on the left side while packed/shipped may have distorted the chassis where the tuner mounts.

The chassis will have to be removed to confirm/fix the problem.

GL

Chas