Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Mon 20, 2019 5:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Veneer repair
PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2018 11:34 pm 

I have a few choices to fix this veneer split. It is tiny but unsightly. Filling it with a filler of correct tint and then use grain markers. Not my favorite choice.
Cut the edges straight and glue in the wedge of the exact veneer (I have some). And lastly, what I usually do but not with such configuration - chamfer the edges out at 45 degrees, iron in the patch and sand it out flat (Kirk's method). What do you guys think?

Attachments:
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 199.81 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]

Post subject: Re: Veneer repair
PostPosted: Aug Mon 27, 2018 12:48 pm 

If you have the veneer, I certainly would just cut it straight and put in a new piece being mindful that the patch has the grain going in the same direction. That seems like always the best solution. Fillers never match unless you are a fine artist and can color them perfect. Even the new veneer will be off slightly in color because it is not 80 years old, but far better match than any filler.

As for the 45 degree chamfer and iron in, I have never heard of that method. I see no point in chamfering the edges of where you are patching when just cutting straight will be just as effective and less work.