Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Fri 26, 2019 2:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Kennedy Royal 426 Table Radio
PostPosted: Sep Thu 06, 2018 4:31 am 

My next project will be restoring a very rare Kennedy Royal Model 426 table radio. There are no pictures of this radio anywhere save 2 advertisement pictures which are shown below. My radio cabinet had the legs sawn off at some point to basically make it a large table radio plus the speaker grill is missing. The leg stubs were behind the corner moldings so I have determined that all 4 sides of each leg were beaded with a 1/16" radius groove point roundover bit. I can scale the legs to the cabinet from the advertisements and replicate them with no problem.

My questions are in regards to the grill. I was very confused looking at the drawing picture versus the 'real life' picture on how the grill was made. The radio cabinet has lots of 1/4" round trim details and I am now leaning towards the grill inserts are roundover trim in the pattern of the drawing picture. I have the original grill cloth and backing material and the insert was likely tacked to the backing. The openings of the cabinet are 7"x7". Question one - does anyone have a Kennedy 426 out there that can share some actual pics? Question 2 - does anyone have a strong opinion on the grill? Options are to a) make a flat scroll saw cut insert or b) cut a 1/4" thick pattern but round over the moldings? I will even count votes.

Interesting project for the fall and winter on an apparently rare radio. BTW, the 2 chassis are in excellent condition - beautiful copper color metal and I have all the hardware including badge plate, escutcheon and knobs.

thanks
Dave

Attachments:
Kennedy 426 (1).jpg
Kennedy 426 (1).jpg [ 24.34 KiB | Viewed 307 times ]
Kennedy 426 Drawing.jpg
Kennedy 426 Drawing.jpg [ 110.02 KiB | Viewed 307 times ]
USA_Kennedy_426-Real Life (1).jpg
USA_Kennedy_426-Real Life (1).jpg [ 73.96 KiB | Viewed 307 times ]