Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Wed 22, 2019 9:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 5S-228 dial bezel finish
PostPosted: Sep Thu 06, 2018 5:30 pm 

I am in the process of restoring a Zenith 5S-228. I have cleaned all of the dirt off of the dial bezel and am left with a dull inconsistent goldish color. Was the dial originally painted or was it polished? The dial is definitely made of metal. I am not sure how to refinish it. If it was originally painted, what color should I use? In all the pictures I have seen of this model, the dial color ranges from shiny bright gold to a dull tan.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Zenith 5S-228 dial bezel finish
PostPosted: Sep Sun 09, 2018 9:56 am 

Almost certainly not painted: I have never seen a chipped one. Usually just a worn finish that appears to be done chemically.

This has been up several times before. The thoughts were that polished bright and lacquered was offensive to most.

Probably it had a dulled and coloured finish when new done by fuming in a chamber. Sometimes that sort of finish can be approximated by toner and a way that has worked for me is to tone, which can leave it specky, but then immediately spray it with lacquer so the toner flows out.
Attachment:
Philco 60 WEB.jpg
Philco 60 WEB.jpg [ 172.05 KiB | Viewed 413 times ]

You may get replies telling you how to fume it which I have done. Its a long time ago but think it was ammonia fumes. Can come out very dark so judging time is the key.

If the finish is good to start with then I would leave it that way after just washing and possibly a spray with a matt lacquer. If it has genuine wear marks, not damage, they are fine to me and I leave them as its true patina and history.
Attachment:
Zentith dial glass 1 WEB.jpg
Zentith dial glass 1 WEB.jpg [ 198.65 KiB | Viewed 413 times ]

Gary

Post subject: Re: Zenith 5S-228 dial bezel finish
PostPosted: Sep Sun 09, 2018 5:00 pm 

Here's another one: some wear around the knob but I like that. Was cleaned and given a light coat of satin lacquer. It has a very low shine with just a sheen.
Attachment:
Bezel WEB.jpg
Bezel WEB.jpg [ 112 KiB | Viewed 403 times ]

Gary