Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 17, 2019 10:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: finish for old painted radio
PostPosted: Sep Wed 26, 2018 2:02 am 

I have an old painted plastic radio (1946 RCA 65X2) which I am restoring.
The cabinet is in good (but not perfect) condition. Instead of stripping and refinishing, I would like to clean and polish the existing paint, as I think it will look good.
What products and methods would you recommend?

Post subject: Re: finish for old painted radio
PostPosted: Sep Wed 26, 2018 3:04 am 

Have not tried on that sort of painted radio, but I have used car paint polishes on painted metal cases of radios. Something like polish and scratch remover, etc. Helps very fine scuffs or scratches, not any help for missing paint, but takes off a layer of old oxidation and brings a gloss or shine back. Whether or not you follow up with a wax is up to you but on a radio a car type wax might not be necessary or maybe desirable. I assume it is enamel paint on old radios. Try it on the bottom or hidden area or something, first.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 26, 2018 10:12 pm 

I would start off with a gentle car cleaner/polish. If a finish is not badly oxidized, I usually start off with something that is very gentle., like Meguiars #9 swirl remover. If the swirl remover is not abrasive enough, go up to one of the heavier cut cleaners /polishes like Meguiars # 1 or #2

The main thing to avoid is going thorough the paint at some point. Never polish any corner or turned edge until everything else is done, as the edges will burn through really quickly. Don't rub too hard, and keep the surface wet with polish.

Sometimes I put a thin strip of LOW TACK masking tape overs the corners/edges to avoid polishing through them. Bu sure the finis is well-attached, however, or the tape may pull it off when you remove it.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 16, 2018 1:20 am 

thanks so much for your help...(better late than never)...
I washed the box down with car soap and shined it up with some old Turtle Wax, and it looks good!
your advice is much appreciated,
Mike