Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Fri 22, 2019 5:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing paint splotches from plastic
PostPosted: Sep Thu 27, 2018 9:21 pm 

I have a plastic front plate to a radio I'm working on cleaning... more on that radio later but for now I just have to figure out how to get these little paint splotches off of it.

It looks like the radio was near where somebody was doing a paint job, and little blobs of paint got splattered on it.

So far I've tried vegetable oil and rubbing alcohol to try to get rid of it, with no success.

I've heard Goo Gone might work.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Looking at them very closely, I'm starting to think perhaps they are not paint splotches at all but rather areas where the plastic has been chemically altered and bubbled up. Like somebody splattered some chemical on it that reacted with it.

Post subject: Re: Removing paint splotches from plastic
PostPosted: Sep Thu 27, 2018 9:39 pm 

For Styrene, and other acrylic thermoforming plastics use a caustic paint remover or oven cleaner. These will not attack the "plastic". Do not use caustic on thermosetting resins like Bakelite unless it is tried in a hidden area to look for crazing damage. For Bakelite, Plaskon and Catalin solvent based paint stripper. Pre-test any solvent when working with Tenite, hard rubber, vulcanite, "mud".

Hair spay and nail polish remover (acetone) are destructive to thermosetting plastics. This includes lemonene, the base solvent in the "orange" products, so beware. You may have to hand polish the solvent splatter damage with the Novus compounds either by hand or power, carefully.

GL

Chas

Post subject: Re: Removing paint splotches from plastic
PostPosted: Oct Tue 02, 2018 2:33 am 

Hi keenmaster,
If these are indeed paint "splotches" or small paint dots or "flecks", my initial suggestion would be not to use any solvents, but rather hot water. Meaning boiling-hot water in a saturated rag, and allow the rag to sit over the paint spots for a few minutes until they are softened. Then using your fingernail or a plastic scraper (such as the edge of an old plastic credit card) see if you can gently scrape them off. If necessary repeat the process several times. If the paint is latex-based, this procedure is guaranteed to work. If the paint is solvent-based it might :?: still sometimes work, but if so will take patience and repeated applications.

If this is not paint, but rather areas where the plastic has been chemically altered and bubbled up, I can offer no advice and would defer to "Chas" and/or others with more experience with such issues.