Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 19, 2019 11:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bakelite where to go from here?
PostPosted: Oct Sat 27, 2018 8:34 pm 

I went through previous posts to try and find out what others did with restoration on Bakelite radios. I have an Admiral 5N10. The finish is Ok, not terribly worn. I did clean it with Brasso and plastic cleaner the best I could but after closely inspecting it I did notice that the light brown coloring was showing through. I don't want to rub and polish anymore causing damage. There are not any cracks or blemishes. It is still glossy but not perfect on the coloring.

My question is, Is it a waist of time trying to restore any finish? Would it be bad to match the original coloring with spray paint and then finish it off with a lacquer? More polishing? Or just keep as is?

I know it's all personal preferences but what do others do?
Thanks everyone............

Post subject: Re: Bakelite where to go from here?
PostPosted: Oct Sun 28, 2018 12:38 am 

Most Bakelite resins had filler material. A really common filler was powdered walnut shells. When you remove the surface resin using abrasives or caustic cleaners, you start to show the filler material. It is hard to color the surface because the resin will prevent stain penetration. Sometimes you can help darken the surface with aniline wood dye but it can sometimes produce weird color highlights and has to be protected by a lacquer overspray. So, for some radios, you can find that the radio was offered in colors other than the brown wood tone coloration. White, red, green, etc. So just give it a lacquer job..

Robert

PostPosted: Oct Sun 28, 2018 1:40 am 

I used the old shoe-polish trick on a sun bleached cabinet once and it really did help. It worked better than any other product I tried.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 28, 2018 1:46 am 

If filler particles are not showing, what is showing is the Bakelite under a dark brown lacquer finish. I would scuff it and brown lacquer it. FWIR Mohawk has these colored lacquers.

One it is scuffed, can't go back...

Some radios do have a mottled brown finish OEM...

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Oct Sun 28, 2018 5:39 pm 

Thanks very much everyone. It appears that is the way to go. Lacquer.

I did try a little shoe polish on a little area and it got worse. That was the reason for the post, ran out of options because I didn't want to take it down to the point of ruining the cabinet.