Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 18, 2019 12:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Shoe polisher for buffing cabinets
PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2018 7:45 pm 

My work has an old school floor shoe polisher, can this be used to polish bakelite/catalin cabinets? Would I need to use a wax/compound on them?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Shoe polisher for buffing cabinets
PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2018 11:15 pm 

bullseyeguyz wrote:
My work has an old school floor shoe polisher, can this be used to polish bakelite/catalin cabinets? Would I need to use a wax/compound on them?
Thanks

Sounds good! I'd love to have one of them. With a set of Novus polishing compounds, you could make a set shine like a jewel. I actually use Novus 3, 2, and finish with Meguiars PlastX. You can also spritz a little Novus 1 on the cabinet afterwards to help avoid fingerprints. It's worth investing in these products. They last a long time and the results are impressive.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2018 4:44 am 

Thanks for the reply and insight

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2018 11:59 am 

I would be very wary with putting a Bakelite cabinet near that polisher. If it grabs its bust and how do you know whats in the brushes; grit for sure.

As to Catalin going anywhere near it to me would be nuts :D . Normally those are worth serious money and crack even easier than Bakelite. Once cracked or broken the value drops like a stone.

There is an rule about working on old items: always try the way that's likely to do the least harm first Most plastic cabinets come up fine by hand. Wash and then use any number of products, Novus seems a favourite over there.

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2018 12:18 pm 

Maybe you could use the polisher with a variac and keep the rotation slow. I do agree that you have to proceed with caution. Even simple feather dusting antiques can be trouble! :D One quick sweep, catch a fiber in a tight spot, and you have a broken part, splintered veneer, or off the table it can go!