Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 20, 2019 11:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Farnsworth EK-264 cabinet issues
PostPosted: Nov Tue 06, 2018 10:31 pm 

This will be my first major attempt to refinish a whole cabinet. Usually, I just clean them up after repair, but this one just seemed more special. The main issue is that there is about a 3 inch crack on the radius on the front of the cabinet. I am not sure what the best way would be to get this re-glued. Since it only goes a short distance, and is also on the radius, clamping is going to be an issue. Also, what is the best way to get adhesive under it? Would a needle and syringe work? How about being sure that it is clean enough for the adhesive to stick?

As for the rest of the cabinet, since a lot of areas are down to bare wood, would lightly sanding and re-staining be the way to go? Like I said, this will be my first major attempt.

I took a couple pictures, but actually the one taken without the flash shows the crack in more detail.

johnschw

Attachments:
IMG_5308.jpg
IMG_5308.jpg [ 86.56 KiB | Viewed 648 times ]
IMG_5309.jpg
IMG_5309.jpg [ 69.32 KiB | Viewed 648 times ]
IMG_5310.jpg
IMG_5310.jpg [ 88.67 KiB | Viewed 648 times ]

Post subject: Re: Farnsworth EK-264 cabinet issues
PostPosted: Nov Sat 10, 2018 10:42 am 

That is one large complex cabinet to begin with. Its in poor state as well, making it even more difficult. You would be better off to get a couple of small table radios and refinishing those first. That way you would learn the techniques.

For that cabinet it would want complete stripping, then all the surface details put right before staining, toning and fresh lacquer.

The crack in the curved area is likely to be difficult. Is it a crack through loose veneer or just a a gouge? Gouge would be easier but I suspect the veneer is coming away as well. Press around it and put a finger nail under it to see.

If its veneer coming away then glue and a syringe may fix it, others say it has worked for them but not for me. I have a cabinet here that stood for a year, finished and beautiful, but the veneer has come back up. Dirt and old glue is the problem I reckon. It now has to all come off and be redone in warm 2019

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Tue 20, 2018 11:13 pm 

Just start into it and see what it looks like. Start with just cleaning the front with furniture polish or whatever works for you. A lot of folks like the go-jo method. I would say the edges would need to be sanded. Take your time. In any case, it's going to look better than what you started with.
Keep us up to date.
David

PostPosted: Nov Wed 21, 2018 9:30 am 

Wouldn't start cleaning it with polish myself: its too far gone for that. Just get in there and start stripping with one of the ways described on the Forum.

Gary