Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 27, 2019 3:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hydro Graphic Printing
PostPosted: Nov Sat 17, 2018 6:31 pm 

I haven't seen it mentioned here before. I was wondering if anyone has used the Hydro Graphic printing method to do a radio cabinet. I'm thinking of all the late model Zenith's and Philco's that used photo finish. There must be a ton of radio's out there that most restorers would not touch with a ten foot pole because of this. Here are some videos on Youtube covering this process. There is a simple 3M di-noc decal that is a different process altogether. It might not work on some of the Philco's that used a graphic design specific to the radio, ie "character lines" and things. But a simple front panel, might save some "ugly" stripped photo finished radio's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIBiG_u0_wA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egmMVaPgw0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL8Vddav67o

Tony

Post subject: Re: Hydro Graphic Printing
PostPosted: Nov Sun 18, 2018 9:55 am 

Interesting but wouldn't want all that liquid on a wooden cabinet.

thanks for posting Gary

PostPosted: Nov Sun 18, 2018 10:32 am 
Site Admin

The last link you gave shows 3M Di-Noc, a vinyl door wrap and is probably easier to apply on a flat cabinet face than the hydro graphic printing, but both are pretty interesting concepts.

I wouldn't be afraid to use the hydro printing on a wood cabinet. The wood doesn't have to be raw; it could easily be sealed with something and then the graphics applied over that. And although the pier is submerged in water, it's not really soaked in water. It's in, it's out. Done.

I think they both show promise for times when a printed wood finish has been damaged or removed. Neither would give you trim lines nor inlaid-effect wood patterns, but just getting a full panel panel restored is a good start.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 23, 2018 4:58 am 

I imagine patterns can be printed on paper, book-matched if necessary, and then glued to a cabinet.