Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 20, 2019 11:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ideas on how to repair this cabinet?
PostPosted: Nov Mon 26, 2018 10:57 pm 

This is an old Howard model 318 cabinet. The radio I've got going pretty good now how do I fix this top corner of the cabinet? There appears to be some wood missing (support) on the inside top corner. The corner has raised and I need to get it back down. I tried pushing down and its solid. There is also a crack on top. I'm not sure how to get this back down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Alan

Attachments:
P1030468.JPG
P1030468.JPG [ 101.34 KiB | Viewed 539 times ]
P1030463.JPG
P1030463.JPG [ 97.54 KiB | Viewed 539 times ]

Post subject: Re: Ideas on how to repair this cabinet?
PostPosted: Nov Mon 26, 2018 11:41 pm 

I see a wood screw there, suggesting the screws could be backed out a bit and then that seam with the screws could be softened with heat or steam before clamping the high corner down with bar clamps.

The corner block in the opposite corner is still there? That's your guide for what's missing.

I think the key here is to soften the hide glue and do some careful trial clamping first to slowly get the shape back before applying fresh glue.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 26, 2018 11:55 pm 

Thanks for the idea John, this was my Dads radio that I bought it for him back in the 80's. Now, both of my folks are gone and trying to hold on to something. I'v been working on the chassis and got that playing pretty good although I get distortion(bad) at higher volume. I don't know how that thing got so warped. I guess moving it from a humid enviroment to a much drier climate. I'll go loosen that screw out and see what happens. Yes, the other corner has the block which follows the curvature of the cabinet. I don't know how to make one like it. Alan

PostPosted: Nov Tue 27, 2018 12:55 am 

ke4nu wrote:
Thanks for the idea John, this was my Dads radio that I bought it for him back in the 80's. Now, both of my folks are gone and trying to hold on to something. I'v been working on the chassis and got that playing pretty good although I get distortion(bad) at higher volume. I don't know how that thing got so warped. I guess moving it from a humid enviroment to a much drier climate. I'll go loosen that screw out and see what happens. Yes, the other corner has the block which follows the curvature of the cabinet. I don't know how to make one like it. Alan

Ok, I did take those 3 screws out, I suppose there is glue holding it still in place cause it would not budge. I'll have to come up with a way to add humidity to it. I live in Montana and we usually don't have much humidity. The radio had been in Alabama so it probably was shocked when I brought it here..Alan