Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 17, 2019 12:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing an unusual finish
PostPosted: Nov Thu 29, 2018 8:31 pm 

I'm convincing my mother-in-law to part with a Zenith 6-S-52 radio so that I can restore it and put it in my living room.

I was told it was working 10 years ago, so I feel pretty good about being able to get the electronics to work.

However, someone in the family painted it with red/gray trunk paint at some point in the past. Probably because the finish or veneer or both was damaged.

Does anyone have any suggestions for special techniques for removal of the paint? Or just get stripper and go to it?

Thanks,

Greg

Post subject: Re: Removing an unusual finish
PostPosted: Nov Fri 30, 2018 2:03 pm 

For all of my stripping of cabinets I use a 50/50 mixture of acetone and lacquer thinner.
I find that it works very well.
Wear good rubber gloves and apply it with 0000 steel wool. let it soak in a little and then use the steel wool with the grain. In tight areas use a brass wire brush [not steel].
after you think you have it all off take a cloth with a fresh mixture and wipe it down and you will see more of it come off on the cloth.
after it is done wipe it down with a cloth wet with gas line anti freeze [methyl hydrate]
sometimes people have use polyurethane which is hard to remove,, then you would have to go to the heavy duty strippers.
I hope this helps you .
Dan in Calgary.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 30, 2018 2:53 pm 

Use 5F5 or the strongest Savogran stripper, these are solvent blends that can remove all the modern finishes, exception being two part epoxy. The pepper finish may be a "Martha Stewart" or an auto product of which the intent is give a tough durable finish.

Do inquire if the set originally had a photo finish anywhere. With that overcoat there will be no way to save the printed finish under it. Most ruined photo finishes can be restored using thin veneer or printing, tinting a new pattern.

To avoid compression marking of the wood with a plastic scraper during finish removal, use wood shavings in the form of animal bedding. The chips will harmlessly scrub up the loosened finish and hold it for easy removal. Reduces the messy blobs of spent stripper.

Note the stripper will pull out the wood filler, any stain and decals. Repairs cannot be made prior to stripping, gluing loose wood may trap the top paint coat making it difficult to pull out during stripping. So after stripping make repairs but be careful that glue does not get on the now bare wood as it may effect any desired transparent coloring. Carefully sand with 400 then 600 open coat, then dampen all the wood to raise the grain sand once more with 600.

The reason for sanding is the very top of the wood has oxidized. Removing this gray layer will reveal a natural color and grain highlights. These are important to give the cabinet a "shimmer" or twinkle to the wood as the finish progresses. Look for a color photo of an original of the set to determine how it is toned. Do the coloring, sealing then transparent toning, followed by opaque toning, final lacquer top coat... Most trim is made from woods that have little or no decorative grain, there are usually opaque toned.

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Nov Fri 30, 2018 5:40 pm 

Thank you very much for the responses. I was concerned that this finish may be tougher than the usual one encountered. I will try your suggestions.

Thanks again,
Greg