Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 16, 2019 11:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Best glue for bakelite?
PostPosted: Nov Fri 30, 2018 8:06 am 

Hi all, I have an old Emerson bakelite set that just arrived in the mail today. On the bottom there's a small chunk (maybe 1/2") that broke off where the chassis bolt hole is. There is also a tight hairline crack running all the way from that to the front. I have the piece that broke off, and it looks like an easy repair, but what glue to use?

I want something readily available, something I can get at Home Depot or Walmart. What works best for you?

Post subject: Re: Best glue for bakelite?
PostPosted: Nov Fri 30, 2018 10:02 am 

There is a thin Super Glue that is suitable for plastics. One trick is to tape the pieces in place first and then run the glue over the cracks from the inside allowing capillary action to draw it in. Putting it on one edge, and bringing together, makes the crack bigger.

I usually reinforce after the pieces are back together with 24 hour epoxy having lightly abraded the surfaces. Also if its thick enough you can drill small holes, with a Dremel type tool, into the surface for the epoxy to run into. Do this prep before Super Gluing though.

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Fri 30, 2018 12:16 pm 

How to detach a piece that was stuck with glue, since it has been poorly positioned?

PostPosted: Nov Fri 30, 2018 12:38 pm 

Try acetone

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Fri 30, 2018 4:44 pm 

For my last repair, big corner crack, I used Weldbond yellow glue and clamped it. It penetrates well and dries clear. I like how it turned out, strong but with plenty of time to work the glue into the crack, and to wipe off the excess.
Then to reinforce the inner corner, scuffed the surface with sandpaper, then laid in a narrow strip of cloth soaked in Weldbond.

My strategy was to mix Bakelite dust from sanding it with Weldbond and use that to fill the crack. However, the thin edges of the crack came out lighter from sanding, so it is not an invisible repair.

Last edited by westcoastjohn on Dec Sat 01, 2018 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 30, 2018 4:59 pm 

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

PostPosted: Nov Fri 30, 2018 5:12 pm 

If the cracked part is black or brown Bakelite and the part is loose enough, consider using BLACK rubber filled CA adhesive... I had used it years ago when it was available from a hobby shop that closed. Was surprised to see it at my local Woodcrafters store last month.

Also with any Bakelite repair I lay down one or two strips of fiberglass cloth on the inside saturated with CA. You can get very fine glass cloth for next to nothing on eBay... It is used to build layers for PCBs

Robert

PostPosted: Nov Fri 30, 2018 5:42 pm 

Epoxy mixed with drinking chocolate is another useful trick if there are voids outside after repairing. Colour can be varied by the amount of powder added but don't go too far as it wont harden properly. Can be sanded down and even given a polish.

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Fri 30, 2018 6:59 pm 

Here is a link to a Fada Bakelite repair I did a couple years ago. That particular Loctite glue worked quickly and solidly. It also works great on rubber cord when making tuning belts.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=337893&p=2831402&hilit=fada#p2831402

PostPosted: Nov Fri 30, 2018 7:49 pm 

Thanks, guys. Based on the comments, I think I will start by using the Loctite Super Glue to glue the piece back in. Once it's had a good 24 hours to dry, I will epoxy everything from inside. I got lucky here--the hairline crack is very tight, and the piece that was broken out fits quite snugly back into place.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 30, 2018 9:33 pm 

A relevant digression:

What I'm used to with super-glue is holding the parts tightly together for maybe 30 seconds. The action, as I understand it, is to expose most of the glue to the water in the air..which is what cures it. I can see how wicking into a hairline crack could have the same effect, but why wouldn't the glue immediately start curing, thereby blocking any more from entering?
Instinctively, I think "glue and clamp" is still the best plan. I often do it by hand...and hold it for less than a minute before setting it aside.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 01, 2018 7:46 am 

I went to Walmart after work tonight, and I bought the Loctite super glue. I also picked up some JB Weld plastic bonder. It's supposed to work on thermoset plastics, which is what bakelite is. Do any of you have any experience with the JB Weld?

PostPosted: Dec Sat 01, 2018 7:26 pm 

tubes4life wrote:
Do any of you have any experience with the JB Weld?

JB Weld is pretty much the only epoxy I've been using for the past 20 years. I've found that the 5-minute type works best as opposed to the 24 hour type. JB Weld makes both.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 02, 2018 7:58 am 

Just a quick update---I used the Loctite super glue to reattach the broken piece--it locked into place like a piece in a jigsaw puzzle, so no need to clamp it. That should be fully dry by tomorrow, then I'll use the JB Weld. Should be good as new after that. Thanks for all of the tips