Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 17, 2019 5:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dial number restoration question
PostPosted: Dec Sun 02, 2018 7:35 pm 

Hello

I’m wondering if the pros can share techniques on filling dial numbers and lettering on Bakelite cabinets. I have tried a few ways but never turn out that well. I have A Coronado 43-8179 that I’m going to paint and would like the dial numbers to be finished in gold and not look like a 3 year old did it with crayons:) thanks for your ideas!

Post subject: Re: Dial number restoration question
PostPosted: Dec Mon 03, 2018 12:01 am 

I use lacquer paint sticks. They are available in several colors. Obviously, white is the most common.

You simply rub the paint stick over the lettering, etc. then lightly rub over it with a tissue to remove the excess paint.

https://weldwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?::1:WLDWH:1:434=51120

Not sure if it is available in gold but a web search might turn something up .

Post subject: Re: Dial number restoration question
PostPosted: Dec Mon 03, 2018 12:26 am 

Dennis Wess wrote:
I use lacquer paint sticks. They are available in several colors. Obviously, white is the most common. You simply rub the paint stick over the lettering, etc. then lightly rub over it with a tissue to remove the excess paint. https://weldwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?::1:WLDWH:1:434=51120
Lacquer-Stik is available in gold, it does not look or handle like a crayon, not a wax.

I discovered paint stick 50 ya when I got a Markal B Paint-Stik in white, slightly different product, same parent company. The stick was used for marking metals. Brought one home to do a Radiola III, great! Unlike the Lacquer-Stik, still very good, there is more linseed oil in the Paint-Stik, the white will turn a wheat color in a few weeks and looks old school...

YMMV

Chas