Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 23, 2019 11:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: LVLP/HVLP compressor
PostPosted: Dec Fri 14, 2018 12:35 pm 

Hi all, i'm new here.
I've had little experience in finishing and the experience wasn't too impressive maybe because I never had enough time to learn about the different finishes and their interaction.

Now that I have more time for woodwork and am interested in working on a number of projects in the house (cupboards, tables etc.) as well other smaller /artistic pieces, I would like to purchase some equipment to make the finishing faster , more enjoyable and of a higher quality.

After looking around on the web, I thought a LVLP/HVLP compressor setup https://mechanicfaq.com/air-compressors-for-hvlp/ and spraying water based would give me as little mess as possible in the garage, a compressor (which I don't have) and possibility of the infrequent finishing of anything I end up welding.

I have listed a couple of spray guns below. Could someone comment on
- whether any of the guns are OK/ overkill (I listed the gravity feed/can't say whether that's the best option),
- what nozzle size I should go for if I was getting one gun (nozzle replacement price = cca 30% of nozzle+gun). I have no experience whether changing nozzles/cleaning one gun makes sense.
- would two guns be more appropriate (eg one good one and one cheaper one I could use for finishing welded items) / which nozzles ?
- what compressor size should I go for not sure how to work it out? (I understand pressure* volume = constant , so 100l at 10psi (compressor pressure) looks like 400l at 2,5psi(at gun) but not sure what compressor capacity should be I'm not going to be hurrying to do any work, but I don't want to get an undersized compressor.

Optima 900 LVLP
Nozzle sizes 0,8 - 3,0 mm Recommended pressure 2,4 3,0 bar
Using nozzle 1,5mm
Round jet: 2,5 bar ( 35 PSI =8cbm/h) = 111,0 l / min
Flat jet: 2,5 bar ( 35 PSI = 17cbm/h ) = = 237,0 l / min

Optima 650i,
nozzles sizes:0,5 - 3,0 mm
Air consumption nozzle size of 1,4 mm.
Round jet:
2,0 bar (28 PSI) =5,7 cbm/h = 96,0 l/min 2,5 bar(35 PSI)=6,7 cbm /h=113,0 l / min
Flat jet:
2,0 bar (28 PSI) =11,5 cbm/h=193,0 l/min 2,5 bar (35 PSI) =13,6 cbm/h = 228,0 l / min

SATAjet 3000 HVLP, SATAminijet® 4 HVLP SATAjet® K3™HVLP
also Devilbiss and Binks
Some Cheaper guns:
Kestrel 2004H LVLP (cheapie) needle 1-2,5mm
K-887M (prowin tools Taiwan) needle 1-2,5mm

Last edited by Xyoinali on Dec Mon 17, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: LVLP/HVLP compressor
PostPosted: Dec Sat 15, 2018 12:05 pm 

I bought a Fuji 3 stage system last year to spray my Philco 38-690. A great system to use and the gun is easy to adjust and makes a great pattern.

To me it was easier than going with separate components and trying to figure out what’s best for my use. The manufacturer was very helpful in determining what model to get.

I practiced on scrap pieces of wood first in order to learn shooting vertical and getting things just right.

https://www.fujispray.com/mini-mite

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.