Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 28, 2020 3:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Painting Bakelite?
PostPosted: May Fri 29, 2009 7:20 am 

So what's the best way to paint Bakelite that was never painted? I've painted cars, but I'm unsure if th same technique can be used with Bakelite. Any suggestions?

http://www.facebook.com/HerSweetTemptress

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 29, 2009 7:45 am 

Andy, please have a look down at past posts in this section. There are many many posts that ask the same question with lots of good advice and photos of how to do it.

Once you have looked over those, and still have a question, please ask.

From all that, choose what is best for you.

Post subject: Re: Painting Bakelite?
PostPosted: May Fri 29, 2009 8:03 am 

slammed87d21 wrote:
So what's the best way to paint Bakelite that was never painted? I've painted cars, but I'm unsure if th same technique can be used with Bakelite. Any suggestions?

The ones I've painted myself.. I used some with primer and some without... not much difference as I used Krylon spay cans and it seemed to come out quite nice. The "Fusion" paint lays down like glass.

The one's that I had painted with auto paint.. came out beautifully and my painter said he uses professional auto paint and clear-coat with primer:

Last edited by Pbpix on Apr Tue 01, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 29, 2009 8:29 am 

Andy,
Here are some threads to get you started.

I believe one of these posts talks about the red Emerson Peter painted. Very nice work.

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98638

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=106305

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=106055

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=107194

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 29, 2009 2:33 pm 

Peter, I saw you have the Traveler and a 1940 Emerson on eBay. They look fantastic. You should do very well with them. How did you paint the Emerson I would like to do one like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sat 30, 2009 3:54 am 

rvuill wrote:
Peter, I saw you have the Traveler and a 1940 Emerson on eBay. They look fantastic. You should do very well with them. How did you paint the Emerson I would like to do one like it.

Well..lol.. I said to my friend who does the painting... please paint it using period colors .. try to stay consistent with the dial colors too.. and "red" is a typical favorite!..
And he came back with this!..
So he did it.. not me..lol
The red is sooo friggen beautiful though!
It's a candy apple that really looks like glass... almost looks translucent.
The guy is a genius.. but I cannot take ANY personal credit for the work.. only the ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sat 30, 2009 9:52 am 

Peter. Is the Krylon Fusion paint available in Walmart and Lowes? Thought I'd ask to save me some running around a bit. I have used the Krylon Gloss with nice results but it just doesn't quite get the "glass" finish like you mentioned. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sat 30, 2009 10:44 am 

Sure!.. any hardware store too!

That red I used is caled hot-Pepper.. I think.

Buy an extra can in case you need it.. saves trips!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Wed 22, 2009 3:54 pm 

pbpix,

I've got to comment on a little something that struck me about your pictures of your finished pictures.

You put the year and model of the radio in text underneath the radio in your pictures. You must use Photoshop or some other similar software to skew the lettering to match the ortho views of the radio. I own a digital imaging business and work with images like this many times daily.

It's just a little thing but it's a little touch that I immediately noticed and adds alot to the image. Well done.

dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 23, 2009 2:36 am 

thetexan wrote:
pbpix,

I've got to comment on a little something that struck me about your pictures of your finished pictures.

You put the year and model of the radio in text underneath the radio in your pictures. You must use Photoshop or some other similar software to skew the lettering to match the ortho views of the radio. I own a digital imaging business and work with images like this many times daily.

It's just a little thing but it's a little touch that I immediately noticed and adds alot to the image. Well done.

dave

Wow thanks Dave:

Yes that's what I use.

I have a background in the computer support services for several graphics arts and magazine pre-press houses... so that's where I developed an appreciation for those aesthetics.

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 6:44 pm 

My first attempt at painting Bakelite radio. Used Krylon paint and color max clear Gloss. After I applied gloss coat, paint appears crackled? What did I do wrong? Thanks for the suggestions

Attachments:
2B99B66C-9099-45D0-A4D4-F87C418E9780.jpeg
2B99B66C-9099-45D0-A4D4-F87C418E9780.jpeg [ 2.78 MiB | Viewed 2019 times ]

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 3:21 am 

Dtsmith_ wrote:
My first attempt at painting Bakelite radio. Used Krylon paint and color max clear Gloss. After I applied gloss coat, paint appears crackled? What did I do wrong? Thanks for the suggestions

looks like it reacted with something you left on it.
Strip it off totally.
I use 50/50 acetone/lacquer thinner.
Really slosh it on like washing your dog... do it over a drip pan... like an aluminum turkey pan or such.
But use lots.. and the old paint will rinse off like water.

Then be SURE the radio surface is CLEAN totally and dry and totally clean again before re painting.

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 2:13 pm 

There was a thread a while back about 'fisheye' or similar. Turned out the OP had used a cheaper type of sandpaper, leaving residue (I think).
In your case, I would not try and use a gloss coat. Possible reactions with the first coat which may need to cure a month before applying a clear/gloss coat.
As Peter said, strip it down completely, then try again with just your color coat.
2 cents worth
Dan

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 2:21 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Dtsmith_ wrote:

Looks like you had a reaction between the colour coat and the top coat. Spraying a lacquer over an enamel will usually produce that result.

If you are using decent paint and doing decent prep, there's no reason for a clearcoat. The colour coat should give plenty of gloss. If you absolutely want a gloss coat, make sure you use the same type of paint .... or use an enamel topcoat.

And .... make sure that if you use different topcoats, to allow the bottom coats to cure well before applying the topcoat. When using the same type of paint you can sometimes do topcoats before the undercoats have cured, but the timing is critical. You need good flash but not cure if the coats are to bond.

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 3:41 pm 

Dtsmith_ wrote:
You have messed up ypur project, however, I and possibly others, would like to know exactly the paint products used and how long was the wait from the first coat to the sealer coat that cause the wrinkling? Did the "wrinkle" finish dry hard to the touch or remain soft?

Wrinkle paint in colors is hard to find, some colors are just not available.

Knowing the exact products, the effect, should be reproducible easily.

Use the advice from others to avoid the wrinkle issue in the future, unless it is desired. Wrinkle paint is often used to conceal a less that perfect surface.

Thanks for any info you can provide

Chas

He, he. I also noticed that deleting the (&t=1) from the end of the image URL causes it to go full size. interesting...

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 6:09 pm 

Used Krylon paint and color max clear Gossy lacquer like I had red in an earlier post. Can think of two thinks I might have done wrong.
1) only let the red paint dry 24 hours after 2-3 thing coats
2) applied clear gloss over red in the Sun, maybe should have let dry in shade.

Agree, will probably leave glossy clear cost off next time

Thanks for the comments.

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 7:20 pm 

Dtsmith_ wrote:
Used Krylon paint and color max clear Gossy lacquer

There are many types of Krylon paint. One may not have been compatible with the other.

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 8:16 pm 

Chas wrote:
Dtsmith_ wrote:
You have messed up ypur project, however, I and possibly others, would like to know exactly the paint products used and how long was the wait from the first coat to the sealer coat that cause the wrinkling? Did the "wrinkle" finish dry hard to the touch or remain soft?

Wrinkle paint in colors is hard to find, some colors are just not available.

Knowing the exact products, the effect, should be reproducible easily.

Use the advice from others to avoid the wrinkle issue in the future, unless it is desired. Wrinkle paint is often used to conceal a less that perfect surface.

Thanks for any info you can provide

Chas

He, he. I also noticed that deleting the (&t=1) from the end of the image URL causes it to go full size. interesting...

Someone I know gets wrinkle paint in colors (other than the red and black carried by auto parts stores) by first painting the surface black or red wrinkle then once cured lightly applying the desired color over the wrinkle.

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 8:19 pm 

Electronic Memory wrote:
Someone I know gets wrinkle paint in colors (other than the red and black carried by auto parts stores) by first painting the surface black or red wrinkle then once cured lightly applying the desired color over the wrinkle.

Another way to get wrinkle is to spray Lacquer over almost dry Enamel.

PostPosted: May Tue 12, 2020 5:42 pm 

If it was crackled all over, I might be happy.
Any tips on getting paint out of those groves on the front of the radio?
Thanks