Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 20, 2019 7:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need advice on airbrush equipment for varnish
PostPosted: Jan Wed 30, 2019 11:30 pm 

I am looking for advise on what to use to spray varnish on small wood radios. Not planning on spraying any consoles. Space for the equipment is a consideration.

I have some small wood table top radios, and a few cathedrals I would like to refinish, or at least improve their looks!

I'm thinking of getting airbrush for small projects like mine. What are your thoughts? Would the Badger 350 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BROVIY or the Paasche H https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004O7HTYU be up to the task?

Paasche TS has an optional fan spray aircap, but is a double action airbrush. Would that be better or worse?

Any ideas on a small and not overly loud air compressor? Space is a premium in the garage. I'm not going to be doing this very often, so I don't want a physically large compressor. Two I've seen that look promising are the Senco PC1010N (1 gallon 1.3 scfm @40psi), and the Porter-Cable CMB15 (1.5 gallon, 3 scfm @40psi).

Amazon has the Paasche H bundled with a "Quiet Air Brush Compressor", but it has no tank. I question if I would be happy with it.

Thank you.

-Nash

Post subject: Re: Need advice on airbrush equipment for varnish
PostPosted: Jan Thu 31, 2019 2:04 am 

In my opinion an air brush is strictly for touch-up (I have one.) But for even small wood cabinets you need a 200 cc Detail Gun
like: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Sipho ... /203468550

$60 will get you a small compressor from Harbor Freight but it will be LOUD! One way to get around that is to put it on a long hose... For a small gun like this the hose line drop should not be a problem.

Robert

PostPosted: Jan Thu 31, 2019 3:43 am 

The Mohawk spray can are very easy to use, and can be bought for lower prices if you shop.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 31, 2019 11:47 am 

California air tools makes a very quiet small .6hp. air compressor with a small tank available on Ebay or Amazon. My friend uses one and loves it. https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-T ... =californi

PostPosted: Jan Thu 31, 2019 12:50 pm 

nash wrote:
Would the Badger 350 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BROVIY or the Paasche H https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004O7HTYU be up to the task?

For an overall refinish of even a small table radio, I don't think either one would be up to the task. As mentioned previously, a detail gun and a suitable compressor would be best. See how many CFM's the gun requires and size the compressor appropriately. Also, an air line oil and water separator is a must.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 01, 2019 9:52 am 

+1 on the Mohawk cans even though they cost me X2 or X3 on what you guys can get them for. Even large table cabinets can be done with them once you have some know how. Needs to warm up some before trying it though.

The radio in the pic is 23" high.
Attachment:
HMV 650 WEB.jpg
HMV 650 WEB.jpg [ 163.66 KiB | Viewed 1012 times ]

Gary

PostPosted: Feb Fri 01, 2019 3:58 pm 

There is an advantage of shooting yer own. You can control solvents, retarders and blend to create, deliberately, wrinkle finish. Compensate for humidity, cold, hot. There won't be any accidental dribbles from the spray can nozzle and no loss of atomizing pressure as the can chills spraying finish that will go below freezing hitting the surface with moisture for the pebble look :roll:

OTH, clean-up, uses more solvents, the need for a compressor, hoses, regulators, "dry" oil free air. Possibly neighbors complaining about solvent smell.

A good compressor can do work elsewhere in the shop...

I have yet to use the four air brushes, two, a mini-type and the others used a 1/2 pint cup. They are cheap China stuff...

I did get a nice, very quiet compressor. Although not large enough for HVLP service, it will fire the air brush nicely.

Keep in mind, the spray area will become explosive, the solvents are dangerous, now, but also when you desire to live past 70 or more, vitals will be fagged out... If you can smell it with the mask on, get another mask...

I got a Hulk HP15P004SS ultra-quiet compressor from Home-Depot online, less than $200, shipped at the time I bought. You have to look for it. About as quiet as the average refrigerator... Yep 100% China, all Metric fittings, replacement filters on eBay from about $1.00, free shipping.

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Feb Fri 01, 2019 4:10 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
I have always used an off-shore automotive style spray gun for the topcoats.

Some years ago, for trim and touch-ups I bought a Paasche airbrush. I am nowhere near being proficient with it, but even so it has been a very good unit to have had.

https://www.paascheairbrush.com/product ... irbrushes/

PostPosted: Feb Fri 01, 2019 5:02 pm 

OP wanted small and quiet. Cant get smaller than spray cans or quieter. Not doing big radios so cans are fine for that.

If he thinks he is going to get into lots of resprays the outlay, size and noise of compressors / guns is maybe OK. If not …

Gary

PostPosted: Feb Fri 01, 2019 5:11 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Radio Fixer wrote:
OP wanted small and quiet. Cant get smaller than spray cans or quieter. Not doing big radios so cans are fine for that.

If he thinks he is going to get into lots of resprays the outlay, size and noise of compressors / guns is maybe OK. If not …

Gary

Good point about the noise. Some years ago I was at a show in Mtl for woodworking supplies and there was a manufacturer there (can't recall the name, maybe Thomas or Thompson??) selling what they advertised as the world's quietest compressor. I'm thinking "phooey, more advertising bs", but when I stood beside it and they turned it on I could hardly hear it. Some people say the California models are very quiet.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 02, 2019 8:29 am 
Site Admin

While you could finish with an airbrush, it will be a lot harder when you have to apply using dozens of passes instead of just a few even ones. You don't need a giant gun, there are smaller ones intended for smaller jobs.

Also, varnish is a brushing medium that's not well suited to spraying. Lacquer is a lot easier to work with in spray form and Is what you Radio had on it in the first place.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 03, 2019 4:55 am 

I have a larger California 8010 and it is eerily quiet and under $150 on Amazon or at Menards. It is also handy for many other things.

John

PostPosted: Feb Tue 05, 2019 4:59 am 

I appreciate all the advice. I think Alan is right, most if not all of the wood radios I have are lacquer, not varnish. Radio Fixer, your rattle can finish is impressive. Nice work.

I like the California Air compressors, quiet and not too big. I'm thinking of getting the 1610SQ as it will provide 3cfm at 40psi. https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-1610SQ-Compressor/dp/B008GW2DDQ

I think it will run a small touch up spray gun like Robert recommends, the Husky H4910DSG https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Siphon-Feed-Detail-Spray-Gun-H4910DSG/203468550

Is there a guide on spraying lacquer, and toning it?

PostPosted: Feb Tue 05, 2019 6:45 am 
Site Admin

Air consumption at recommended operating pressure (CFM): 4.5
Average air consumption @ recommended operating pressure (CFM): 2.9

The compressor is undersized.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 01, 2019 11:16 pm 

I use an automotive size gun for everything. I have smaller gravity feed guns but no longer use them. I also use lacquer on radios, nothing else ever.