Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 11, 2019 8:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Atwater Kent Model 20C front panel color?
PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 6:15 am 

Hey y'all.

As chronicled elsewhere, I have just finished the electrical restoration of an A-K Model 20C. It's percolating nicely so I now wish to begin ts "beauty treatment" with cabinet and front panel refinishing. As can be seen in the accompanying photo, the little TRF is in nice shape but it was apparently re-done some time ago in what I think are the wrong colors. This judgment is based upon the preserved finish of a "Big Box" I restored many years ago but, foolishly, sold. As I recall, the full size A-K Model 20's wood was darker, as was the front panel. This 20C's front panel is a sort of milk chocolate brown with a smooth finish whereas my old Big Box had, as I remember, a dark chocolate wrinkle finish. This current front panel also has some scratches and, perhaps, painted over pitting that I would like to correct with a prep and re-paint.

Does anyone have any specific paint color and texture recommendations for an authentic looking restoration?

Many thanks!

Craig
W3CRR

Attachments:
A-K_20C_lores.jpg
A-K_20C_lores.jpg [ 232.5 KiB | Viewed 704 times ]

Post subject: Re: Atwater Kent Model 20C front panel color?
PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 5:22 am 

Don't think you will find a paint code but the color can be custom mixed if you have a sample color to go buy. I looked on line at other sets and some have a black wrinkle finish and some have dark dark brown wrinkle finish. Maybe You can find a black wrinkle spray paint at auto store and then go over it with a dark brown color in statin or flat finish. If you want to send out to get it done send me a PM on this post.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 3:40 am 

I have handled and restored a few A-K 20 big box sets and some other early A-K TRF radios.

What I have observed is the front panels all appear to have been painted with a single color inside and out.

Over time the exterior color will age and look quite different than the interior. If you look under a dial, or control on the outside where the exterior paint is protected though, the color will be lighter like the interior.

One difference I have noted between the interior and exterior panel finish is the interior paint will be smooth while the exterior will have varying degrees of crinkle or crystalline texture to the paint.

I wonder if they treated the exterior surface of the panel after initial painting to create the crinkle finish?

Another observation, just judging from examples I have seen over the years, there seems to be some variation in exterior color of the front panel.

I repainted an A-K 20 big box panel a week or so ago. I found a Rustoleum color that was a decent match of the interior color, but was not a crinkle of crystalline paint.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 5:36 am 

My challenge is to ascertain what color the front panels actually were. My 20C has apparently been repainted on the outside and it's actually lighter than the seemingly untouched interior. The inside color is Hershey Bar brown, if you will, so I'm going to take Paul and Fred's suggestion of black wrinkle undercoat and dark brown topcoat -- specifically the Rustoleum Satin Dark Brown Paul mentioned.

73!

Craig
W3CRR

PostPosted: Feb Fri 22, 2019 2:34 am 

crgrbrts wrote:
My challenge is to ascertain what color the front panels actually were.

Hard to do. AK seems to have used several similar shades of brown over the years from various suppliers for sourcing his paint. I have seen shades from dark medium to deep chocolate (nearly black) brown. Best approach is to match the inside brown of the panel, somewhere where the light, air, smoke etc. have not been at it. I believe there is also manufacturer of mechanics tool boxes that uses a dark brown wrinkle finish directly and can supply refinish paint - don't recall the name at the moment. As to the unique AK crackle finish, which is quite distinct from crinkle or wrinkle finishes, that secret appears to be lost to the ages.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 22, 2019 4:15 am 

Someone in another thread mentioned Kennedy tool box spray paint as a source for brown wrinkle finish paint for A-K sets and others.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 22, 2019 4:54 am 

Thanks very much to you both. I’m hoping to get the “new” 20C done over the weekend and get back to you then, Paul.

Cheers,

Craig