Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 6:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 6-S-27 Cabinet restoration
PostPosted: Feb Fri 22, 2019 10:58 pm 

It has been several years since I worked on a wood radio but I have a Zenith 6-S-27 that I have stripped the entire cabinet. It had a big wide gouge in the top, one side was burned and assorted other problems. The burned side has to be re-veneered after filing the burned holes in the underlayment. I am not good at identifying types of wood. Does anyone know what type of veneer was used on the sides of this radio? I am guessing oak.

Post subject: Re: Zenith 6-S-27 Cabinet restoration
PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 1:26 am 

Walnut was used on most radios. The next most common wood used was mahogany. But your set used walnut.
Hope this helps..
Tony

PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 3:04 am 

It does not look dark enough to be walnut?

Attachments:
6-S-27 Side 2.jpg
6-S-27 Side 2.jpg [ 145.6 KiB | Viewed 497 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 5:12 pm 

IamZoot wrote:

Black walnut will typically lighten with age. Exposure to sunlight increases this tendency. (By the way, this is also true of cherry, although we don't often see cherry used in antique radios.)

Note: This tendency of walnut to lighten with age only extends a little way into the wood. If you were to cut into a piece of solid black walnut you would find that it still has its original dark color inside, just below the surface. This presents problems when repairing furniture or wood trim where new black walnut is incorporated alongside older, and is also a problem when patching veneer. It usually requires stripping everything and using various stains to achieve a color match.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 24, 2019 2:38 am 

Thanks, I learn something everyday!

PostPosted: Feb Tue 26, 2019 10:56 pm 

Poston Drake wrote:
IamZoot wrote:

Black walnut will typically lighten with age. Exposure to sunlight increases this tendency. (By the way, this is also true of cherry, although we don't often see cherry used in antique radios.)

Note: This tendency of walnut to lighten with age only extends a little way into the wood. If you were to cut into a piece of solid black walnut you would find that it still has its original dark color inside, just below the surface. This presents problems when repairing furniture or wood trim where new black walnut is incorporated alongside older, and is also a problem when patching veneer. It usually requires stripping everything and using various stains to achieve a color match.

True, but I don't think Zenith used walnut veneers on the sides of their tombstone radios. As with many low-end consoles of other manufacturers, Zenith used something cheaper on the sides and reserved the walnut for the front and top. I am guessing it is fir or poplar--something like that. That being said, I see no problem upgrading the veneers to walnut, provided that you do the same on both sides.