Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 27, 2019 3:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco Model 90 Correct Laquers
PostPosted: Mar Wed 06, 2019 12:46 pm 

Hello friends. I am getting ready to refinish a Philco model 90 cabinet. This appears to be the walnut version. I was wondweing what Mohawk colors are correct. Maybe perfect brown or dark walnut? I would attach pictures but this site always tells me too big too small or what not. Thank you for all advice.

Post subject: Re: Philco Model 90 Correct Laquers
PostPosted: Mar Wed 06, 2019 3:43 pm 

I'd use Walnut toner, nothing really dark in color.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 06, 2019 6:17 pm 

I agree with Hoffies2. I would use a Vandyke brown, or dark Vandyke brown.
Extra dark walnut would be too dark.I would only use these on the pillars and possibly the base.
Dan in Calgary

PostPosted: Mar Thu 07, 2019 6:03 am 
Site Admin

Tip: Go to paint stores and home centers and collect as many different wood stain chip cards as you can find. Wet a small section of the cabinet with a little naphtha or paint thinner (neither will harm the finish nor the wood) and then find a color chip that is closest to the the cabinet color. Use this chip as a reference color for what the finished cabinet should match. It doesn't matter what the color is called or what the stain is that it goes with as those are relative to any specific wood. Now after you strip the finish and go through the steps of refinishing it there will be less guesswork in what the actual color should be.

You can always add layers of color to darken or change the think of a finish along the way. If you're spraying tinted lacquer it's hard to go back a step; if you're recreating the color with stain you can add a way coat of shellac (one part shellac from a can to four or five parts denatured alcohol) after each stain layer. If you need the color to be "warmer" you might add a layer of golden oak stain; if darker you might add a second layer of whatever color you started with. As long as it' stain layer, shellac, stain, shellac ... you can go back one step and remove the last color layer if it's wrong without affecting any other stain layers you have done. The solvent of shellac is alcohol, which is different from the solvent in stain, so it can protect what's user it.