Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 19, 2019 1:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Low profile, finish safe adhesive recommendation
PostPosted: Mar Fri 08, 2019 3:23 pm 

I have to glue a presumably brass emblem (light- about 2”x2”) on a late 50s Magnavox console. Criteria are that the adhesive must be low to zero profile, strong enough to hold for some time, will not or unlikely to damage finish in the event badge falls off and has to be reapplied.

I’ve been told of pressure sensitive tape by 3M but it’s expensive and difficult to come by it would seem. Are there any household adhesives that might work?

I’m reluctant to use my Gorilla Super Glue.

Post subject: Re: Low profile, finish safe adhesive recommendation
PostPosted: Mar Fri 08, 2019 4:51 pm 

It's just my opinion but I'd never use super glue on a lacquer finish. I would use Scotch 77 spray contact cement. It is acrylic based adhesive and won't deteriorate in my lifetime (I'm 72). If it did fall off because you had put on too light a coat, you can use low VOC mineral spirits to slowly 'massage' the adhesive off without attacking the lacquer. The mineral spirits causes the Scotch 77 to just slowly swell-up and looses its stickiness so it can be pushed off onto a gauze or terry cloth pad. I've been using it for about 15 years I think.

I find Scotch 77 a great problem solver in the shop throughout the year... The last time I bought a can it was about $13.

Robert

PostPosted: Mar Sat 09, 2019 8:15 am 
Site Admin

Adhesive Transfer Tape is the product the 3M makes and is what I would recommend. You can find it at art supply stores and craft stores. It's great to have on hand, kit's like scotch tape without the tape. You press it on, peal off the backing, and a dry pressure sensitive adhesive remains behind.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 12, 2019 8:32 pm 

Thank you Robert and Alan. I do have 3M 77, is that the same as the Scotch 77?

Anyway, that's the second vote for the pressure sensitive tape. We don't have many craft stores around. Just a walmart really, but I'll get my thinking cap on and see where I can find it.

That being said. I recently stain wiped this cabinet. It has "dried" for a few weeks now, but what is the go-to cleaner for the back of the badge and cabinet that I can wipe without damaging and preps the surface best for this adhesive tape?

How does this tape look? I believe this is what I bought last summer actually to affix the Jeep lettering to my header panel. I could see it working well for this. THough the ad says specifically to plastics, (the 300SLE). As opposed to 3Ms "VHB" Very High Bond offering. Think the former might work just fine.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 3.36.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 3.36.56 PM.png [ 420.44 KiB | Viewed 426 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Tue 12, 2019 9:41 pm 

Badges on radios used to be stuck with rubber cement. My experience is when old, they don't like to go into solution in a solvent "friendly" to the badge or the surface where it was attached. I wind up just scraping it off with a razor knife and maybe a Q-Tip damp with alcohol for final clean-up.

I've used VHB tapes on many things in the industrial world of manufacturing. Good stuff but most I've used had a 6 mil substrate probably too thick for little badges... But when it grabs, it grabs! You better have it in the right place... While the 77 contact cement gives you a little time to lift it off without too much trouble and then try again...

I seem to recall that the 3M 77 and Scotch 77 brands had to do with their marketing channels. The Scotch being reserved for retail branding higher prices.

Robert

PostPosted: Mar Tue 12, 2019 11:47 pm 

Well- I went with the 3M 77 commercial grade hold multipurpose spray adhesive (hope that’s what you meant by contact cement!) because I had it on the shelf. I don’t live in a particularly hot climate either. And there were no bends in it, so nothing should be pulling off.

Figured it was worth a shot. Couldn’t find the mineral spirits but wiped the badge after sanding with alcohol. Wiped the cabinet with a clean cloth best I could. Didn’t want to risk staining it or messing up finish.

Sprayed back of badge good. Let set for 30 seconds and applied. One half first. Stuck instantly and hinged it down over the original halo. Pressed on and off for 5-10 minutes.

Seems good! I’ve a friend with the tape I need to do this “right” but didn’t want to hassle. I trust if ever falls off that the finish isn’t ruined underneath :-).

Not going to the moon and that badge weighs all of 1/8th an ounce. If that.

Anyway thank you both for the advice! I’ll report back if it pops off.

Attachments:
54194761_10218603008897576_2979718176750698496_n.jpg
54194761_10218603008897576_2979718176750698496_n.jpg [ 40.08 KiB | Viewed 408 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Wed 13, 2019 11:28 am 
Site Admin

The 3M spray adhesive (Super 77) was a good choice.

Adhesive Transfer Tape comes in rolls. There are two versions, one with the adhesive wound on the outside of the carrier backing made for Adhesive Transfer Tape application dispensers; the other with the adhesive layer on the inside for manual application. The both look the same, a shiny brown paper carrier with a layer of sticky stuff.

The spray adhesive and the transfer tape have the same solvent, rubber cement thinner (Bestine is the most common brand). The thinner is a useful thing to keep on hand as it dissolves pretty much any pressure sensitive adhesive. Wet a price sticker and it will lift right off. Also will let you quickly and cleanly remove dried up making tape. Just wet the surface, let it sit a moment and peel up. It won'y hurt metals, plastics, paper, or painted surfaces.

This page has a good photo of what the product is: https://embossingtapesupplies.com.au/pr ... -tape.html