Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 18, 2019 5:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: zenith "walton" 7s-232 finish
PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 1:42 am 

What wood/ finish is on a zenith Walton. I see some places that said Walnut, however pictures I see do not look like walnut.

So what was it.

Post subject: Re: zenith "walton" 7s-232 finish
PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 3:13 pm 

Walnut coloring varies dramatically. Different species are different colors. A single board can be several colors and the reflection from an area that is uniform in color may appear different because of the swirl of the grain. Air drying comes out a different color than kiln drying. Walnut bleaches, stains, and dyes easily. It was common in furniture manufacturing to bleach it and then stain or dye for a uniform color. After you have gone to the trouble of carefully selecting boards for the color you want, or gone to the trouble of bleaching and/or dyeing and staining for the perfect color, walnut lightens with age. How rapidly and how much is unpredictable. A black walnut case I made 40 years ago looks about the a same, but a medium colored walnut would be well on its way to amber. I recently finished a project using about 150 BF of walnut that was air dried 10 years ago and milled 5 years ago. Unfinished, it is currently a mix of light sapwood and a Hershey's brown with a vague gray/blue tint and everything in between.

My Walton blends in well with my oak library. To match the new bookcases with the existing paneling, I stained the bookcases I built a few years ago with a mix of Minwax Golden Oak and Early American. So its a medium brown with a hint of amber. The veneer on the Walton still looks like walnut, but has lightened to darkest color in the oak bookcases. The frame and ribs of the Walton are the color of the lighter areas of the bookcases, almost amber, without the obvious yellow.

I think what this should tell you is that somewhere between, but not to include, the extremes of black walnut and cream sapwood, you can pick anything you like. Google "Walton images" and see what you like. Of what I saw this morning, only the darkest, and the reddest seemed out of place. Personally, I would try for compatibility between the veneer color and the lumber color, which doesn't mean identical. The veneer should be slightly darker.

I have several other 1930s radios, all covered in walnut veneer. Their current colors range from Hershey's (Zenith), some with a bit of red (Grunow), to a dark amber (Arvin).

Make sure you fill the grain, especially of the veneer.

John

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 3:44 pm 

Superretrodyne wrote:
Walnut coloring varies dramatically. Different species are different colors. A single board can be several colors and the reflection from an area that is uniform in color may appear different because of the swirl of the grain. Air drying comes out a different color than kiln drying. Walnut bleaches, stains, and dyes easily. It was common in furniture manufacturing to bleach it and then stain or dye for a uniform color. After you have gone to the trouble of carefully selecting boards for the color you want, or gone to the trouble of bleaching and/or dyeing and staining for the perfect color, walnut lightens with age. How rapidly and how much is unpredictable. A black walnut case I made 40 years ago looks about the a same, but a medium colored walnut would be well on its way to amber. I recently finished a project using about 150 BF of walnut that was air dried 10 years ago and milled 5 years ago. Unfinished, it is currently a mix of light sapwood and a Hershey's brown with a vague gray/blue tint and everything in between.

My Walton blends in well with my oak library. To match the new bookcases with the existing paneling, I stained the bookcases I built a few years ago with a mix of Minwax Golden Oak and Early American. So its a medium brown with a hint of amber. The veneer on the Walton still looks like walnut, but has lightened to darkest color in the oak bookcases. The frame and ribs of the Walton are the color of the lighter areas of the bookcases, almost amber, without the obvious yellow.

I think what this should tell you is that somewhere between, but not to include, the extremes of black walnut and cream sapwood, you can pick anything you like. Google "Walton images" and see what you like. Of what I saw this morning, only the darkest, and the reddest seemed out of place. Personally, I would try for compatibility between the veneer color and the lumber color, which doesn't mean identical. The veneer should be slightly darker.

I have several other 1930s radios, all covered in walnut veneer. Their current colors range from Hershey's (Zenith), some with a bit of red (Grunow), to a dark amber (Arvin).

Make sure you fill the grain, especially of the veneer.

John

Thanks for the insight, I need to replace the front "book matched" veneer on this one as it is destroyed beyond repair. This one had lightened to the amber color you describe. I have veneer that will work , I gained a lot of free pieces when the wife of a furniture refinisher was cleaning out his stuff. grain filler is on the way.

some one took an orbital sander and beat this poor cabinet up, I can rescue the sides and top but not the front.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 4:40 pm 

If the front veneer is still thick enough, you can probably sand some of the problems away. You need to be extremely careful though, if it was damaged by the prior sanding, because it may not be a consistent thickness. If it's the ribs, if you can stay true to the shape and uniformity, you might be able to correct some of it. I would err in the direction of not going too far. In another 80 years, it will just be considered character.

Good luck
John

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 7:55 pm 

Very water damaged and missing a big chunk, (plus beat to death with the sander.) The ribs are fine luckily.