Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 15, 2019 4:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing Trim Pieces from Grundig Majestic 7000
PostPosted: Mar Wed 20, 2019 5:16 pm 

I'm working on restoring a Grundig Majestic 7000 and would like to remove these trim pieces to clean and polish them, but don't know how they are attached. The top one has a couple of screws on the back side, but the others have no hardware showing through on the inside of the cabinet. If someone has done this before and can help me out I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Rich

Attachments:
first_day_002_r2.jpg
first_day_002_r2.jpg [ 243.48 KiB | Viewed 392 times ]
cabinet_trim_pieces_001_r.jpg
cabinet_trim_pieces_001_r.jpg [ 141.75 KiB | Viewed 392 times ]

Post subject: Re: Removing Trim Pieces from Grundig Majestic 7000
PostPosted: Mar Wed 20, 2019 8:21 pm 

I haven't worked on this particular radio but I have worked on several Grundig table sets. I've found that the Grundig emblem, the V and the trim ring around the tone buttons are usually just nailed into the wood. In other words, nail shanks with pointy tips are simply brazed onto those pieces and they are hammered into place. I usually just carefully pry them off to polish them. To reattach them, I will widen the pinholes left by the nail shanks with a slightly larger drill bit, then slip the pieces back in with the nail shanks coated with a tacky adhesive like E6000. Trying to hammer them back in can result in denting or bending and breaking the nail shanks off. (been there, done that)

PostPosted: Mar Thu 21, 2019 1:55 am 

Thanks Michael - That's what I figured but didn't want to start prying on things until I had researched it. Here are my early results:
Attachment:
cabinet_trim_pieces_011_r.jpg
cabinet_trim_pieces_011_r.jpg [ 124.85 KiB | Viewed 367 times ]

These things really shine up nice with some Brasso and a small buffing wheel chucked into the Dremel. The area in the middle of the Grundig badge that looks white is actually shine ;)

I wonder if this piece will be anchored the same way?
Attachment:
cabinet_trim_pieces_009_r.jpg
cabinet_trim_pieces_009_r.jpg [ 206.99 KiB | Viewed 367 times ]

The rectangular piece actually has two brads that are tapped sideways through tabs:
Attachment:
cabinet_trim_pieces_006_r.jpg
cabinet_trim_pieces_006_r.jpg [ 82.2 KiB | Viewed 367 times ]
Attachment:
cabinet_trim_pieces_008_r.jpg
cabinet_trim_pieces_008_r.jpg [ 72.55 KiB | Viewed 367 times ]

I've used E6000 quite a bit lately and it works great. But I wonder if there is a better alternative that would hold them in place, yet allow them to be removed easily if need be. After all, somewhere around 2080 some poor sap is going to have to restore this thing again!

Rich

PostPosted: Mar Thu 21, 2019 4:24 am 

Ah, yes. I forgot about the two little brads on the trim ring. I don't widen those holes, I merely push the brads back into the holes with something blunt. And yes, the Grundig Majestic Logo is held in with nail shanks, as well. I think E6000 is still a good choice as far as tack strength and will only require a moderate amount of pulling force to release. If you're still worried, how about silicone sealer?

PostPosted: Mar Thu 21, 2019 2:06 pm 

Thanks again Michael. Good idea on the silicone sealer...maybe I'll try some RTV.

Rich