Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 26, 2019 3:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Refinishing an Atwater-Kent 10A
PostPosted: Mar Mon 25, 2019 2:14 am 

I've stripped my Atwater-Kent model 10A, and the base appears to be redwood.

What was the original finish?
What should I be using now?

Post subject: Re: Refinishing an Atwater-Kent 10A
PostPosted: Mar Thu 28, 2019 7:41 pm 

It's mahogany that has been stained red. Usually you can tell the color of stain that was used by looking at what should be fairly pristine finished wood beneath the 3-tube TA island once it has been removed. The stain was consistently red on the boards I've redone. You can match it but you need to be careful. Stripping the board won't remove all of the stain, just the lacquer and dirt. It will need to be sanded, stained with a cognac type of water-based stain, then lightly grain filled. I use a water-based grain filler (Aqua Coat). I generally apply 5 coats of lacquer. After each coat of lacquer, I use soapy water and #0000 steel wool and 600 sandpaper and LIGHTLY go over the entire board and edges. If you have tags you need to be careful at this stage because of all of the holes that go through the board to support the AK components. Water of any amount will stain the tags so be careful there. A good trick there is to use Q-Tips and insert them from the bottom of the board into the holes near the tags. You'll have to remove some of the cotton from the swab that will be going into the holes, but the holes will need to be cleaned out anyway when you near completion because they will get filled up with saw dust, and grain filler, You can use a small screw to get that out when you're near completion.
I'll be working on two boards this weekend myself. Hope this helps.
Jim Houston
Charleston, SC

Post subject: Re: Refinishing an Atwater-Kent 10A
PostPosted: Mar Thu 28, 2019 8:07 pm 

Wow! Thank you. That helps a bunch.
We started with Mahogany, then switched to Redwood. I guess we're back to Mahogany.