Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 23, 2019 8:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Plastic restoration/ repair/ painting
PostPosted: Mar Wed 27, 2019 3:03 am 

Hello everyone I’m new here and I’m looking for some suggestions. I received a customers Uniden Madison in the mail the other day and as expected he didn’t pack good and it was damaged. As finding a new face is near impossible I am going to try and repair it.
I ordered a plastic cement that has the consistency of water that will actually weld the plastic together as they called it. I have a few of the pieces I will be putting back in and bonding. Once that’s complete I will most likely use a bondo to fill then sand till I get it looking back to normal.
Now leaves me the repair color! How should I and what should I use as far as paint to work on plastic? I’m figuring I will need to try and match color best I can and spray entire outer bezel.

Any suggestions? Tips? Best paints to use?

Post subject: Re: Plastic restoration/ repair/ painting
PostPosted: Mar Wed 27, 2019 10:40 am 
Site Admin

This might help: https://antiqueradios.com/features/paint.html

PostPosted: Mar Wed 27, 2019 2:44 pm 

Thank you this will be a huge help for me!

PostPosted: Mar Thu 28, 2019 5:11 pm 

Ugctheaters wrote:
Hello everyone I’m new here and I’m looking for some suggestions. I received a customers Uniden Madison in the mail the other day and as expected he didn’t pack good and it was damaged. As finding a new face is near impossible I am going to try and repair it.
I ordered a plastic cement that has the consistency of water that will actually weld the plastic together as they called it. I have a few of the pieces I will be putting back in and bonding. Once that’s complete I will most likely use a bondo to fill then sand till I get it looking back to normal.
Now leaves me the repair color! How should I and what should I use as far as paint to work on plastic? I’m figuring I will need to try and match color best I can and spray entire outer bezel.

Any suggestions? Tips? Best paints to use?

If it is conventional plastic that can be glued with conventional glues like Tenax and IPS #7, then, Testors plastic model paint comes in the small quantities needed and in a huge variety of colors, and it designed specifically for plastic.

Brett

PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2019 5:50 am 

Great idea on the paint! I just ordered some and will give it a shot.
Thank you