Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 20, 2019 1:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dial support help
PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 3:51 am 

This is my first post, so please bear with me. I have had a Detrola 321 flea market buy sitting on a table looking pretty for 25+ years. I'm downsizing, and anything that isn't useful is going. I don't want to part with the radio, so I am trying to make it useful. To that end, I replaced the electrolytic and wax caps yesterday, resoldered some old cold solder repairs, and have evaluated other things that need fixing.

The remaining items include the lack of spacers between the dial support plate and the chassis. The brass posts are there, but nothing to support the dial plate. Can anyone advise on what is an appropriate material to use for this, and how they were installed? I'm guessing they were likely rubber, and crumbled into dust long ago.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Dial support help
PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 2:47 pm 

VikkiP wrote:
This is my first post, so please bear with me. I have had a Detrola 321 flea market buy sitting on a table looking pretty for 25+ years. I'm downsizing, and anything that isn't useful is going. I don't want to part with the radio, so I am trying to make it useful. To that end, I replaced the electrolytic and wax caps yesterday, resoldered some old cold solder repairs, and have evaluated other things that need fixing.

The remaining items include the lack of spacers between the dial support plate and the chassis. The brass posts are there, but nothing to support the dial plate. Can anyone advise on what is an appropriate material to use for this, and how they were installed? I'm guessing they were likely rubber, and crumbled into dust long ago.

Thanks in advance!

I think that is a good guess. I'm not familiar with that particular radio but I have had to replace that rubber on several radios. Usually you can find a grommet that would work at a hardware store. Make sure to measure to see what you need. Look where tuner parts go through a hole in the chassis. There might be more than one. Some disassembly could be required.Maybe removing a c clip.
Also it would be a good idea to make sure the tuning cap is meshed while working on that to minimize the chance of damaging it.

Jon

Post subject: Re: Dial support help
PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:01 pm 

I dug out and carved up some random grommets to provide perfect clearance and alignment. Thanks!