Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 15, 2019 9:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA 810K1
PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 11:29 pm 

Picked up this radio, and absolutely love the styling of it.
Is there a photofinish on the cabinet? It looks like there could be a little something on the front side panels, but then again, maybe not. The finish is pretty good all around, except for the top part. What are the recommendations for fixing the top and just general cleaning of the cabinet?

I could always refinish the top and front face part, but I'd like to see if there are other alternatives.
Thanks,
Zach

Attachments:
810K1.jpg
810K1.jpg [ 213.81 KiB | Viewed 210 times ]
810K1 Top.jpg
810K1 Top.jpg [ 279.64 KiB | Viewed 210 times ]

Post subject: Re: RCA 810K1
PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 12:57 am 

I always clean the cabinet with Murphy's oil soap first to see what I'm working with. Next, I've used Minwax stain on radios similar to yours with good results. The bare lighter wood absorbs the stain and you rub off any excess, so this might work for the top of your radio. I use Minwax touch-up stain pens for smalls scratches and blend them in, followed by a coat of Minwax furniture wax. Yes I like Minwax products :D I used this method on a Telefunken Opus 6 that had slight water damage on the top, and the results came out great. I believe it's always nice to keep the original finish if possible.