Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 15, 2019 9:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Source and Type of Tolex Advice Needed
PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2019 5:29 am 

I've been requested to re-cover a Hickock tube tester, and while I've seen many posts on doing the job--both tube tester and transoceanic portable--I need to know which kind of Tolex to purchase.

There are two I see on Antique Electronic supply

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/tolex-light-weight-black-bronco-54-wide

This is said to be thinner and less rigid than the common variety tolex, and I can see this as being easier to fold around hard edges.

Is this the stuff to get? And what do you recommend for adhesive?

I have a big pot of Barge contact adhesive, a sort of rubber cement on steroids, used to repair shoes. I'm guessing that'll be adequate.

Bill

Post subject: Re: Source and Type of Tolex Advice Needed
PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2019 10:39 pm 

I think the thinner Tolex should work fine for your project. It's not like it will be bouncing around in a service van. I've only used the black elephant Tolex which is a tad thicker on TO's because of the pattern. Someone here has done a tube tester with the black Tolex a while ago and it came out beautiful. Maybe he'll chime in with some advice.
One trick that may help. Use a wide black Sharpy pen on square corners where two edges meet before you start. No one will see wood if the fabric doesn't meet perfectly. I stole that from Ed Morris and it works.
I know nothing about the old fashion pot glue so I can't help there. Show us pictures as you go. It would be fun to follow.

Freeman

Post subject: Re: Source and Type of Tolex Advice Needed
PostPosted: Jun Fri 28, 2019 4:48 am 

Thinner. When I recovered a Trans-Oceanic a few years ago, I went with the heavier Tolex, thinking it would be better quality. Although getting it folded around corners was not that big of a problem, the thicker Tolex made for a tight fit for the front and rear doors. I have to give them a good tug to open them. If I do another, I will use the thinner stuff.

Use Weldwood solvent based contact cement. Lowes or HD will have it in the paint section. If you Google Tolex, you will find several suppliers that cater to guitar amp restorers. I think I bought mine from Mojotone, but AES probably carries the same types. For a TO, one yard of the 54" wide Tolex is enough.