Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sun 29, 2020 5:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hopelessly clogged spray cans? - How to recover the contents
PostPosted: Jul Tue 30, 2019 2:36 pm 

There are two issues I have encountered over the years.
1. There are spray cans that become hopelessly clogged or partially depressurized giving useless results.
2. I have an air brush outfit and want to spray paints and coatings packaged in aerosol cans. There are no hobby shops locally for small quantities of paint; I'd like to use the wide selection of paints at the local auto parts and home improvement stores. I don't want to have to purchase coatings in quarts and gallons for a 2 to 4 ounce job.

I've come up with what I think is a relatively safe way to depressurize a spray can and recover the contents. It sure works for me.... Here are some slides I'm going to include in my next Hints & Kinks presentation.

Robert

Attachments:
800-pp-1.jpg
800-pp-1.jpg [ 132.54 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]
800-pp-2.jpg
800-pp-2.jpg [ 175.61 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]
800-pp-3.jpg
800-pp-3.jpg [ 180.04 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]
800-pp-4.jpg
800-pp-4.jpg [ 158.44 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]
800-pp-5.jpg
800-pp-5.jpg [ 164.88 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hopelessly clogged spray cans? - How to recover the cont
PostPosted: Jul Tue 30, 2019 2:54 pm 

Really cool setup! My niece paints alot with rattle cans - I'll be sure to show her this.

On a larger scale, that nearly exact setup is used daily at our Naval Station recycling center. There's a plaque that tells the story of how a guy who worked at the NAS Oceana Hazmat center developed the idea in 1990, and got a cash award for his idea (how much, it doesn't say...) His creation sits atop a 55 gallon drum that collects all the paint within, and then makes the rattle cans recyclable.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 30, 2019 2:57 pm 

Here is a no-mess way to decant from the pierced hole...
Simply two brass eyelets soldered back to back. Or you could solder a brass washer to a short length of brass tubing... You get the idea...
Robert

Attachments:
800-Decant.jpg
800-Decant.jpg [ 241.52 KiB | Viewed 1162 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Tue 30, 2019 3:03 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
Really cool setup! My niece paints alot with rattle cans - I'll be sure to show her this.

On a larger scale, that nearly exact setup is used daily at our Naval Station recycling center. There's a plaque that tells the story of how a guy who worked at the NAS Oceana Hazmat center developed the idea in 1990, and got a cash award for his idea (how much, it doesn't say...) His creation sits atop a 55 gallon drum that collects all the paint within, and then makes the rattle cans recyclable.

Dang! Another one of my "original ideas" co-opted by some fraudster years ago. :wink:
Robert

PostPosted: Jul Tue 30, 2019 3:07 pm 

Robert Lozier wrote:
Findm-Keepm wrote:

Dang! Another one of my "original ideas" co-opted by some fraudster years ago. :wink:
Robert

His idea doesn't recover the paint for reuse - yours does, and is infinitely more useful.

The guy at NAS Ocean Hazmat saw tons of rattle cans being handled as hazmat once they were expended, due to the minute amount of liquid within. The USN was spending gobs of money disposing of the cans, so he created a way to allow the cans to be disposed of as shred steel, saving $$$$ - they typical payout for a beneficial suggestion is 10-20% of the savings, so probably substantial for him - he got a plaque, didn't he? :lol:

PostPosted: Jul Tue 30, 2019 6:40 pm 

Hello Robert,
great idea
Sincerely Rich

PostPosted: Jul Tue 30, 2019 6:52 pm 

Interesting concept. I would suggest however, being sure to use eye protection -glasses, safety goggles, etc.- just in case.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 04, 2019 11:29 pm 

fifties wrote:
Interesting concept. I would suggest however, being sure to use eye protection -glasses, safety goggles, etc.- just in case.
++++1+... !
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Aug Sat 10, 2019 3:06 am 

I have not found a clogged can that I could not get to spray. My method is to soak the nozzle in lacquer thinner and put a couple of drops of lacquer thinner in the hole in the can (for nozzles that a a protruding tip} and then blow out the nozzle with my compressor. Might have to soak the nozzle a few times to get it to open. Then put it back in the can and try to spray. It will probably plug again but if you repeat this procedure enough times it will start to spray. The cans that have the protruding tip from the can usually are easier to unplug since it usually a nozzle problem. I have had to pound the protruding nozzle on the cans down on a board to get it to start to spray. I did not say that this was not going to be time consuming. :D

PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 4:53 pm 

One good move on cans that you have used up that DIDN'T clog is to save the nozzle when you toss the can...If the saved nozzle fits in place of one that clogs on you, then you can just swap to a good nozzle and save the effort of cleaning the old one.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 3:05 am 

EVERY time I use a rattle can spray, I pull the nozzle off and spray out the can and nozzle with carburetor and choke cleaner. I use the cheap stuff from Walmart. Have not had a stopped nozzle since I started doing that. Even got my son-in-law doing it cause I didn’t want him ruining my paint! Denis

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 3:18 am 

Now there are some spray cans where you can't pull off the spray head AT ALL! (And they still clog...) :evil:

Robert