Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sat 30, 2020 10:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crosley Playtime g-father clock radio and some questions
PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 10:04 pm 

In case anyone remembers the first one, no, this isn't the one that was painted green. I picked this one up at Kutztown back in May. Overall the cabinet (case?) is in pretty good condition but oh brother whoever owned it must have smoked a dozen or more cigars daily. So far I've Go-Jo'd it 4 times and I can finally see the wood grain of the original finish. She's cleaning up pretty good and I have decided not to refinish it but rather to preserve what's left of the original finish with 2 exceptions. The base needs to be redone as it is all chipped and the right side main panel is oxidized so badly that the oxidation is right down to the wood underneath. It must have been close to a heat source. I'll have to figure out something for that.

Here's my first question, what do you guys use to protect faux finish like the paper around the clock face once it's been cleaned?

Before:
Attachment:
crosley playtime  124 2-1s.jpg
crosley playtime 124 2-1s.jpg [ 127.56 KiB | Viewed 2301 times ]

Don't you just love that nicotine haze? The entire case is coated like this. :?
Attachment:
crosley playtime  124 2-3s.jpg
crosley playtime 124 2-3s.jpg [ 158.13 KiB | Viewed 2301 times ]

Larry

Last edited by rocketeer on Oct Sat 26, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Started on my Crosley Playtime g-father clock radio
PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 10:18 pm 

Wow that thing is sure preserved in tobacco tar! I've always liked these grandfather clock radio combo's...someday I hope to find one this nice :)

Post subject: Re: Started on my Crosley Playtime g-father clock radio
PostPosted: Oct Fri 25, 2019 3:44 pm 

Making some progress.

Attachment:
Playtime case-6s.jpg
Playtime case-6s.jpg [ 153.29 KiB | Viewed 2261 times ]

Larry

Post subject: Re: Crosley Playtime g-father clock radio and some questions
PostPosted: Oct Sat 26, 2019 2:25 pm 

I rewired it using matching repro wire and plug. I kept it a bit shorter because it's going to plug into a bucking transformer hidden inside of the case.

Here's the second question, did this model not have any lettering around the knobs? I've never seen any that did which seems very curious, like you were supposed to guess which knob did what. :?

Attachment:
Playtime case-4s.jpg
Playtime case-4s.jpg [ 224.34 KiB | Viewed 2218 times ]

Larry

PostPosted: Oct Sat 26, 2019 4:07 pm 

Knobs have decals above them: Left has "Tone" and Right has "Off On" "Volume". Very small gold on black lettering!

Dale

PostPosted: Oct Sat 26, 2019 5:28 pm 

I touched-up the photofinish on mine, then sprayed it with clear lacquer.

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=178989

PostPosted: Oct Sat 26, 2019 5:46 pm 

rxradio wrote:
Knobs have decals above them: Left has "Tone" and Right has "Off On" "Volume". Very small gold on black lettering!

Dale

I have a Playtime Grandfather Clock Radio that I bought off of the original owner and that still has its original finish. Mine does not have any lettering around the knobs, only slight finish wear around them from use.

GL,

Terry

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 12:29 am 

Nice clock radio. I've used a clear sealer for paper. I think what I bought was called a fixative spray for fine art papers. Don't know if it's worth extra money over a basic clear lacquer but is always advertised as being of archival quality. And I recognize your clock radio has the classic Hammond spin to start clock movement in it. Does your clock still work?

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 1:51 am 

dacsman wrote:
Nice clock radio. I've used a clear sealer for paper. I think what I bought was called a fixative spray for fine art papers. Don't know if it's worth extra money over a basic clear lacquer but is always advertised as being of archival quality. And I recognize your clock radio has the classic Hammond spin to start clock movement in it. Does your clock still work?

I haven't gotten to that yet as I just rewired it but haven't finished.

Larry

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 2:04 am 

rxradio wrote:

Dale

The 124 chassis was used in several different cabinets and I have looked at dozens and dozens of photos and images, including original factory brochures and advs, and none of them show any lettering. Can you expand on your source?

Larry

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 4:09 am 

Thank you for your reply to my question. I'd asked this same question to another member on this forum regarding his clock radios clock and received no response.

I've likely repaired about two dozen Hammond clocks now with this same Type C rotor powered movement. Probably 95% of the time the clocks motor ( or rotor more properly stated ) is in need of servicing and is the reason these won't work. Of course the generally long neglected movements are also dirty and starved for lubrication. If you would like I can properly service the rotor for you which is removable from the movement. Here are photos of what the rotor looks like. They are easily removed by taking off two nuts securing a plate over the rotor. Although these rotors were not made to be serviced it is possible to do it. The third photo shows the typical state of the remaining lube.. a waxy goop! The rotor is degreased with a strong solvent followed up with a thorough cleaning in an ultrasonic bath, dried then rotor is resealed. New synthetic oil is added via the plug hole after the rotor is sealed as was originally done in the factory. PM me if I can help you out. I just love seeing these old Hammond clocks working again.

Attachments:
File comment: Pinion side of rotor.
061.JPG
061.JPG [ 469.56 KiB | Viewed 2173 times ]
File comment: Back side of rotor.
062.JPG
062.JPG [ 461.49 KiB | Viewed 2173 times ]
File comment: Waxy lube that remains.
065.JPG
065.JPG [ 470.02 KiB | Viewed 2173 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 5:40 am 

By the way, the clock in my example keeps good time, even though it is 88 years old.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 2:14 pm 

dacsman wrote:
Thank you for your reply to my question. I'd asked this same question to another member on this forum regarding his clock radios clock and received no response.

I've likely repaired about two dozen Hammond clocks now with this same Type C rotor powered movement. Probably 95% of the time the clocks motor ( or rotor more properly stated ) is in need of servicing and is the reason these won't work. Of course the generally long neglected movements are also dirty and starved for lubrication. If you would like I can properly service the rotor for you which is removable from the movement. Here are photos of what the rotor looks like. They are easily removed by taking off two nuts securing a plate over the rotor. Although these rotors were not made to be serviced it is possible to do it. The third photo shows the typical state of the remaining lube.. a waxy goop! The rotor is degreased with a strong solvent followed up with a thorough cleaning in an ultrasonic bath, dried then rotor is resealed. New synthetic oil is added via the plug hole after the rotor is sealed as was originally done in the factory. PM me if I can help you out. I just love seeing these old Hammond clocks working again.

Thank you for your offer, I will keep it in mind.

Larry

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 2:47 pm 

Just like and old radio, once restored these clocks will keep time just as well as they originally did. First thing you should do is make sure the coil is still good Should measure just over 700 ohms. But it is rare that they go open. I've only come across one bad coil so far.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 11:39 am 

After the 5th Go-Jo cleaning it's about ready except for the right side main panel. Looks like I'm going to have to strip and refinish that one panel, darn.

Attachment:
Playtime case-8s.jpg
Playtime case-8s.jpg [ 153.94 KiB | Viewed 2055 times ]

Larry

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 1:45 am 

I pulled the clock out today and disassembled it. It's clean as a whistle inside and it works. Some light lubrication with sewing machine oil and back it goes.

Attachment:
Hammond clock-3s.jpg
Hammond clock-3s.jpg [ 225.56 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]

Attachment:
Hammond clock-9s.jpg
Hammond clock-9s.jpg [ 268 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]

Larry

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 2:47 am 

You did the clock cleaning job right. Guess you got lucky and there is still some usable lube in the rotor. It is very rare to find one that does. Out of maybe 15-20 rotors so far I've come across there was maybe one that didn't need servicing yet. With yours all back together and power unplugged, give the start knob a healthy spin. I'd be curious to know how many seconds it takes until the hand stops?

PostPosted: Nov Fri 08, 2019 4:14 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
By the way, the clock in my example keeps good time, even though it is 88 years old.

Many electro-mechanical clocks can't help keeping good time... most had synchronous motors who's rotational speed is locked to power line frequency once they start moving...it is a lot more precise and reliable than a good number of purely mechanical clock mechs of the day.... though if you find a 25 or 50 Hz clock motor it will run consistently fast on 60 Hz.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 6:16 pm 

rocketeer wrote:
rxradio wrote:

Dale

The 124 chassis was used in several different cabinets and I have looked at dozens and dozens of photos and images, including original factory brochures and advs, and none of them show any lettering. Can you expand on your source?

Larry

Attachments:
IMG_5905.JPG
IMG_5905.JPG [ 301.57 KiB | Viewed 1841 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 10:20 pm 

That appears to be a refinished cabinet and the decals aren't straight. It looks like whoever refinished it decided to add them.

Here are 3 different model 59 Crosley Oracle grandfather clock radios. Note there is no lettering on them either.

Attachment:
1931-crosley-oracle-grandfather-clock_1_7912a9f2698a45572b0e121718ac1165.jpg
1931-crosley-oracle-grandfather-clock_1_7912a9f2698a45572b0e121718ac1165.jpg [ 242.32 KiB | Viewed 1830 times ]

Larry