Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sat 30, 2020 9:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco 650. My first restoration and could use some help
PostPosted: Nov Wed 27, 2019 3:29 am 

I picked up 2 radios for $20 today. One is a Philco 650 and the other is a Kennedy. Not sure of the model.

The 650 is pretty rough. The veneer on the corners are split and chipped and I'm not sure how to restore it aside from completely redoing the veneer. I think the rest of the veneer should be ok aside from those corners. any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've never restored anything like this but I'm excited to get it started. Also if anyone knows anything about the Kennedy I'd love to know more about it.

Attachments:
both.jpg
both.jpg [ 3.36 MiB | Viewed 587 times ]
front.jpg
front.jpg [ 4.13 MiB | Viewed 587 times ]
side.jpg
side.jpg [ 4.02 MiB | Viewed 587 times ]
kennedy 1.jpg
kennedy 1.jpg [ 4.96 MiB | Viewed 587 times ]

Post subject: Re: Philco 650. My first restoration and could use some hel
PostPosted: Dec Wed 04, 2019 10:05 am 

Those are not beginners restoration projects. Even having done a lot, for me, they would be very challenging. If you can store them away I would suggest buying some small table models and building up some expertise on those first.

Start with a few that have no veneer issues other than an odd chip. Do the stripping, wound fixing, staining and lacquer coats and see how it goes. Lots of info on here.

For small or even large table radios rattle cans of lacquer can do a good job. After 20 years I can get a near perfect finish straight from the can. But for consoles or floor standing radios IMHO you need a spray gun set up so think about that.

Lots of info on methods of replacing veneer on the site, read all that before thinking of tackling the Philco.

You don't show any pics of the electronics: if those are in as bad state as the cabinets the radios may only be suitable for parting out. Think about it, its easy to spend a lot of time and money restoring junk and it will rarely be as good as buying a more expensive set with fewer issues to begin with.

Gary