Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 04, 2020 7:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 8G005 Brown Leather Cabinet??
PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 5:12 pm 

I don’t think there are any of these around. They are all black stag covered. Last year I was on a mission to get both of the 8G005 radios. I have most of the newer tube models. I did find both models, but in my search I came across this one. It wasn’t brown leather though. It was the worst looking radio I have ever seen on Ebay. He was asking over $100 shipped and was local. He had bought items, but this was his second sale. I offered $20 with local pickup. I explained why the low offer and he agreed. I picked it up and asked. Why the high price. ‘Well others sell for that.” This one is a TY model and my other TY chassis was a basket case. Between the two I got a working chassis and a good cabinet. Now both TY and TYZ1 sit side by side in a bookshelf. What was left of this one, sat in a corner all alone. The front door doesn’t close right because one side is bent out.
Attachment:
Junker A.JPG
Junker A.JPG [ 185.55 KiB | Viewed 585 times ]

Attachment:
Junker B.JPG
Junker B.JPG [ 227.03 KiB | Viewed 585 times ]

Last Aug I had nothing to do. Someone here mentioned JoeAnn Fabrics sells imitation leather cheap. Sure enough they had this 52” X 36” and was $8 after the 60% off. There was no tan so I got the brown. I’ve recovered quit a few TO’s with tolex. Well this imitation leather is a lot thicker than tolex and it didn’t want to cover well at all. I couldn’t fold the rounded areas over each other because it was to thick and the doors wouldn’t close. Each corner had to be cut evenly to get around that problem. The leather backing is a different kind of backing material and it didn’t take to the Contact cement very well. I gave up on this a couple of times, but came back after a few days.
Attachment:
Recover A.JPG
Recover A.JPG [ 848.46 KiB | Viewed 585 times ]

Attachment:
Recover B.JPG
Recover B.JPG [ 883.36 KiB | Viewed 585 times ]

Attachment:
Recover C.JPG
Recover C.JPG [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 585 times ]

Attachment:
Recover D.JPG
Recover D.JPG [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 585 times ]

I had to steal a few parts from the other TY for the pictures. They will go back to my good one and this will go back to its corner. I have two other TO’s that need a new coat. So they’re next. If I find thinner tan or brown imitation leather, I may try this again. It wouldn’t have any street value, but it would be unique.

Freeman

Post subject: Re: Zenith 8G005 Brown Leather Cabinet??
PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 4:22 am 

Nice work on the recovering. Looks classy.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 10:12 am 

I can imagine it being not easy to do as you said. Result looks very good. Nice work.

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Mon 25, 2019 7:31 pm 

From a distance it does look kinda cool. Up close though you can see all the defects. All the borrowed parts are back where they belong. I'll keep an eye open for a good door that goes over the dial face.

Thanks for the kind words.
Freeman

PostPosted: Nov Mon 25, 2019 9:30 pm 

Sorry to say, but you're not done yet. You are missing an 8G005YTZ2 from 1949. :cry:

PostPosted: Nov Tue 26, 2019 5:36 pm 

Damb your right. I forgot about the Z2. It will have to wait a while. I have 1 on the bench and 3 more on the floor and it's winter. All of you up north are inside working on your projects. Down here now the temp is cool and we have outside projects that weren't done in the summer.

Freeman

PostPosted: Nov Tue 26, 2019 5:54 pm 

Well, we'll be looking forward to your Z2 thread when you find one!