Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sun 29, 2020 5:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Making a molding
PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 1:37 am 

I have to fabricate a bottom molding for the tabletop set. It is 7/8"wide and 3/32" thick. Has to go around the bottom bending twice at 1.25" radius. What is the best way of bending the wood and what kind of common wood is best for the job?

Post subject: Re: Making a molding
PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 2:38 am 

Steam the wood to bend it. As for the wood, not all respond well to steam bending, plus you might want to use an appropriate wood for the cabinet. Figure out what wood might match then do a little research to see how well it steam bends.

Post subject: Re: Making a molding
PostPosted: Nov Thu 14, 2019 10:05 pm 

Here’s a trick I learned from a master luthier. When he bends wood this is how he does it. BTW. He sells his guitars for between $6400 and $15,000 and has a one year waiting list. His work is world class.

He takes a piece of 10” long steel pipe 1”, 2”, 3”, whatever diameter he needs. The pipe goes horizontally into a special holder (you can use a vice, but the vice will dissipate a lot of heat from the pipe). The direct a torch into one end of the pipe. He then lays a wet rag over the pipe and soon the rag is scolding hot and steaming. He then slowly applies pressure to the wood. You can actually feel the wood start to relax as you do this. You can work the wood over the pipe and get a perfect radius every time. I used this technique on a piece of expensive KOA wood and it works great. I also have a steamer, but I like using this technique for shorter bends. Google “hot pipe wood bending” you’ll see lots of examples.