Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sun 29, 2020 3:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Type of wood?
PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 12:54 am 

Does anyone recognize what type of Veneer this is? It's on a 1960 Jukebox if that's any help.

Attachment:
yellow-wood.jpg
yellow-wood.jpg [ 176.49 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]

Post subject: Re: Type of wood?
PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 8:08 pm 

Some of those blond 50s finishes were standard mahogany or walnut with a coat of thinned white paint to hide a portion of the grain then a coat of yellow toner lacquer... To duplicate exactly you might need to strip enough of the finish to reveal the actual grain (so it can be identified), get the same type then duplicate the process they finished it with....

There were also some completely fake, paint over Masonite blond finishes.... some blond late 50s-mid 60s Zenith TVs were done that way.

Post subject: Re: Type of wood?
PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 11:11 pm 

It could be Mahogany I suppose, it's real wood for certain because I have peeled off some of it where it's damaged, it's a yellow colored wood as well but it does appear to have a white layer under the yellow finish.

It's on a Rock-Ola Jukebox, I may just go with rift cut Oak when i redo it, that's easy to work with and I'm not too particular when the machine is as messed up to start with as this one.