Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sun 29, 2020 5:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Brown bakelite hole patch
PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 12:30 am 

I have a brown bakelite radio with an asymmetrical triangular hole that is roughly 1x2 ". If I had a piece of bakelite I could trace the outline onto the bakelite donor, carefully cut, epoxy in place after tinting the glue dark brown and sand the edges. It wouldn't be invisible but would preserve the 98% OK cabinet without resorting to paint. Any experience or thoughts on the scheme?

Post subject: Re: Brown bakelite hole patch
PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 10:10 am 

You have a problem there in finding a junk Bakelite cabinet of the right colour

I once repaired a radio with a jagged piece out of the bottom. It was done using a perforated metal plate epoxyed, in overlap, behind the hole. The recess was then filled first with 'bondo' (UK version) containing chopped strands of fibre glass matt before finishing off with smooth.

The whole bottom was then spray painted. It stood the test of time as 15 years later I gave it to the 'Club' to sell for funds. Someone who was looking at it wouldn't believe it was repaired. Took some convincing and I didn't have a magnet with me.
Attachment:
Zen 1.jpg
Zen 1.jpg [ 268.54 KiB | Viewed 747 times ]

Attachment:
Zen 2.jpg
Zen 2.jpg [ 277.88 KiB | Viewed 747 times ]

Attachment:
Zen 3.jpg
Zen 3.jpg [ 118.7 KiB | Viewed 747 times ]

If your hole is in the front or side you might end up spray paining the whole cabinet :)

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 4:24 pm 

So you won't get discouraged along the way: Bakelite is a pressure cast thermosetting resin. It contains fillers, that, during the molding process migrate to just below the finished surface. That will present a problem patching with a simple, tightly, coped insert. Even if Bakelite dust from cutting is mixed with the epoxy mortar, this wood flour will be very noticeable. Sanding the area to level the patch will cut through the "clear skin" of the Bakelite.

Unfortunately the project will have to be painted. It will look somewhat different but O.K.

This is a chance to do some artistic license and enhance the brown drab Bakelite, see posts from Peter Balazy, Pbpix, painted antique radios.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vi ... p?p=911247

Chas

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 5:35 pm 

Totally agree with the bondo patch method, fibreglass resin sticks really well to Bakelite, and can be colored to match.Be careful sanding Bakelite as the outer surface is really thin, and it's really easy to rub through to the filler layer, then you will have no choice but to paint.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 5:47 pm 

Thanks to all. I have patched and painted previously but inserting a bakelite patch never occurred to me. All bakelite is not the same so, as suggested, finding a piece that matches is highly unlikely. Mike's suggestion that fiberglass resin tinted to match could me a non-paint solution? Mike, have you tried this AND, if so, what did you dye it with. Aniline?

GSD

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 6:21 pm 

I have a German VE301 radio from ww2, arrived in a really poor state with the top corner broken off,
Most of the parts were there apart from a few chips.The cabinet on these radio's is about 1/8th thick.

I sandblasted the inside of the cabinet around the broken pieces and used fibreglass tissue with a mix of resin and pigments (black and red)from the local boat shop to match the cabinet color, I think that any stain that is compatible with the resin would do,
The repair is almost invisible from the outside, only a slight ripple visible looking across the surface.

Attachments:
IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG [ 518.19 KiB | Viewed 717 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 6:38 pm 

I have a Setchell Carlson "frog eye" that had a missing right front corner. I followed the procedure described in the latest post and achieved a marginal result: color match close but patch is quite visible. The color matching is the big obstacle here. Mixing the liquid with a compatible material (I used aniline dye but not certain this is the best material) requires an artist's eye And some luck that the cured outcome will be the same as the liquid state. I am going to try this approach on my radio BUT ask for suggestions on specific resign compatible dying material.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 9:49 am 

In very small quantity you can add Drinking Chocolate powder to epoxy. Of course that is unlikely to give you the shade you want, maybe artist's poster paint would work.

Too much powder in the epoxy and it doesn't cure hard :(

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 2:52 am 

The corner was missing. This is my highly visible patch.

Attachments:
rsz_101_0943.jpg
rsz_101_0943.jpg [ 308.74 KiB | Viewed 599 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 10:17 am 

Guess its at the right back corner? or maybe at the front behind the knob? Picture looks like it wasn't set up to show it well or isn't by a proper camera. I can show defects smaller than 2mm, with mine, which of course isn't real life. But that's me :D

Not an appealing radio design is it ...

Anyway your happy.

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 5:13 pm 

Nice job, yes it is visible, but there's no hole.
Was this your first attempt?
if it was then Superb.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 5:27 pm 

GSD wrote:
The corner was missing. This is my highly visible patch.

The solid black patch on swirl brown Bakelite on the corner near the right knob is super obvious to me.... I'd be tempted to paint that section and make it into a 2 tone Bakelite and paint cabinet.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 6:15 pm 

This was my first attempt. In person the "black" corner is dark brown but, clearly, I added too much black aniline to the brown aniline mixture. I should add that the "resize" to fit the site limitations yielded a poorly proportioned outcome. The radio is significantly wider so the proportions are more pleasing.

Making a two tone "rat rod" is a good idea. The challenge with this is I rely on spray cans and these are generally unable to produce the quality of finish desired. Careful wet sanding and buffing helps but not the same as a true paint gun outcome.

Thank you for the constructive commentary and recommendations guys.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 6:56 pm 

GSD wrote:
This was my first attempt. In person the "black" corner is dark brown but, clearly, I added too much black aniline to the brown aniline mixture. I should add that the "resize" to fit the site limitations yielded a poorly proportioned outcome. The radio is significantly wider so the proportions are more pleasing.

Making a two tone "rat rod" is a good idea. The challenge with this is I rely on spray cans and these are generally unable to produce the quality of finish desired. Careful wet sanding and buffing helps but not the same as a true paint gun outcome.

Thank you for the constructive commentary and recommendations guys.

I've gotten excellent results with rattle can painting of Bakelite....if you're going for 2 tone make sure to mask it with blue painters tape.