Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 05, 2020 7:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Shellac crazing and wrinkling
PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 6:10 pm 

I am working on refinishing the top of an RCA V-210 model and stripped and sanded the top, sprayed sanding sealer, then grain filler and then toner lacquer. I wanted to use brushing lacquer but in the past brushing on top of toner smears and blotches the toner so I sprayed two coats of shellac as a sealer over which I can brush the lacquer.

After a day for the first shellac coat to dry I sprayed the second coat but immediately the first coat wrinkled in some areas and when it fully dried it showed crazing in all areas. Temperature was 65 deg. Does anyone know why this could happen? What is the best way to fix the mess without stripping it all down again?

Thanks for any advise,

Steve D

Post subject: Re: Shellac crazing and wrinkling
PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 1:16 am 

The shellac might have been past it's shelf life. As an initial sealer, shellac is ok, but I don't like it between coats of lacquer because it will weaken the finish. Each coat of lacquer dissolves and melts into the previous coat. This will not happen if you put shellac in between.

You can wipe off the shellac with denatured alcohol. Just go easy as the toner lacquer is resistant to it, but prolonged contact and rubbing will harm it.

Your toner smears because the lacquer thinner in the brushing lacquer dissolves the toner lacquer. I would spray a couple of coats of lacquer (clear) over your toner to give you a better base for your brushing lacquer. The brushing lacquer will dissolve into the clear lacquer below it, but as long as you don't over brush, it should be ok.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 7:20 am 

Why bother with brushing lacquer? Just use a good spray can lacquer: job done :)

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 4:31 pm 

+1

Another possible option it you really like the characteristics of your brush on product and have access to an air compressor would be to apply your brush on coating with an air compressor powered paint gun as a spray.... that should prevent brush smearing of the toner too.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 6:48 pm 

I would speculate that if the OP had a spray gun he wouldn't be using brush on lacquer in the first place.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 7:02 pm 

Scott wrote:
I would speculate that if the OP had a spray gun he wouldn't be using brush on lacquer in the first place.

Could be. Then again I can't be the only one here who has a compressor but no spray gun...I kinda prefer rattle cans for convenience and lack of deafining motor noise.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 27, 2019 7:40 pm 

I would agree that your shellac is either too old or too thick or both. Brushing on a wood finish is as big a waste of time as taking a shower with your socks on.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 28, 2019 9:06 am 

Not if your socks need a wash :D

On walking holidays, we often get in the shower with underclothes and socks on :D

Gary