Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sun 29, 2020 3:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA 96T2 cabinet unrestorable?
PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 10:09 pm 

This is part of a "shed stored" collection I got a couple years ago. I was just going through them to decide on what to work on over Winter. I would assume that this cabinet would be considered "not restoreable"? About the only thing salvageable is the dial glass and plastic housing. I do plan to try to get the electronics working though.

Was this model only in a table cabinet or was it also used in a console? Is it worth saving what is there to use parts of the veneer for patching others?

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

Attachments:
IMG_5769.jpg
IMG_5769.jpg [ 239.57 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

Post subject: Re: RCA 96T2 cabinet unrestorable?
PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 11:27 pm 

If you have the unpictured top and side it is practical to restore it. Without them it also isn't impossible but limited by access to tools and info to recreate them and the value of your time vs value of the radio... basically: is it worth the hastle to you?

If you junk the cabinet save the veneer...I did that recently with a Zenith console (bottom was completely sawed off and missing) by soaking the veneered wood till the glue let loose pulling what let go loose then resoaking till the substrate was hard.... original veneer is nice since it tends to match better when spliced in.